WATCH: Idah scores a beauty to complete hat-trick as City U23s are beaten in eventful friendly in Holland
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Adam Idah scored a hat-trick as Norwich City Under-23s completed their pre-season preparations with an eventful 5-3 defeat to the first team of Dutch second-tier side Dordrecht.
The young Canaries were 3-0 down inside 27 minutes after a disastrous start, conceding headers from a corner and a cross from the left, before centre-back Louis Lomas scored an unfortunate own goal as he tried to deal with another cross from the same side.
However, Republic of Ireland U21 striker Idah - who has been with the first team for most of pre-season and scored twice in a friendly - pulled a goal back from the penalty spot in the 29th minute, after Gassan Ahadme had been chopped down when controlling an Idah cross from the right.
After firing that penalty low and down the middle the Irishman made it 3-2 within five minutes, after a deep cross from right-back Jordan Thomas, turning in at the back post.
The hosts extended their lead to 4-2 in the 55th minute, after a misplaced pass from Lomas, but it was the defender who started the move from which Idah completed his hat-trick with a superb finish.
Aidan Fitzpatrick played a fine pass down the right wing and the 18-year-old striker - who signed a long-term contract with City this summer - held off pressure from two markers to lob the keeper from the right of the box.
That made it 4-3 in the 65th minute but Dordrecht did make sure of the friendly win in the 82nd minute, with the visitors conceding from a corner again as a header was looped beyond Archie Mair, with the senior hosts showing their experience.
You may also want to watch:
Greek midfielder Savvas Mourgos started for Norwich before returning to Dordrecht for a second loan spell in Holland, with a bright start last season ruined by a knee ligament injury.
The defeat followed a 4-3 win away to Derby County U23s on Tuesday, with David Wright's squad starting their Premier League Two campaign with a home game against Swansea U23s at Colney on Friday (7pm).
- 1 Why a Premier League gamble makes no sense for Farke
- 2 Onel Hernandez reveals reason he got a Norwich City tattoo
- 3 Former City coach departs Ipswich Town
- 4 'I have to say I had more than one tear in my eye' - choked Farke on City duo's exit
- 5 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v City - No fresh injuries. Skipp and Pukki will be part of celebrations
- 6 Why Norwich City won't be a soft touch in the Premier League
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Cardiff man once again linked
- 8 'Perfection' - Dowell on getting back to the big time with Canaries
- 9 When will Norwich City learn their Premier League fixtures?
- 10 Rosenborg set for talks with Tettey
Norwich U23s starting XI: Mair; Thomas, Lomas, Famewo (C), Nizet; Mourgos, Milovanovic, Adshead, Fitzpatrick; Ahadme, Idah. Subs: Johnson (GK), McAlear, Jones, Scully, Hondermarck