Watton area notes

WATTON U16 visited Nelson and put in an excellent performance. Playing with only 10 players due to illness, Watton took the game to Nelson, winning battles all over the pitch.

WATTON U16 visited Nelson and put in an excellent performance. Playing with only 10 players due to illness, Watton took the game to Nelson, winning battles all over the pitch. Watton soon took the lead, with Billy Graham-Park dribbling through the Nelson defence and rifling the ball into the net. Watton briefly lost concentration, allowing Nelson to equalise. Soon back on their game, Watton nearly re-took the lead with a great shot from Kuba Bak which hit a post. Watton did take the lead again with a route-one goal - Tom Borognoni clearing from goal for Billy Graham-Park to run on to and score his second. Half-time 2-1. Watton continued to fight hard for every ball, but midway through the second half Nelson scored. Nelson came more into the game, but Watton were hanging on for a point, but seven minutes from time, Nelson scored the winner. Watton surely deserved at least a point, but should be delighted with their display. MoM: Kuba Bak.

WATTON U12 were away to Heigham. This game was dominated from start to finish by Watton. Connor Watton's goalkeeper swept up well but did not make a save. James, David, Lewis and Perry in the first half kept Heigham quiet. The midfield of Jack, Luke, Matty and Cam bossed this game and created loads of chances. Jimmy and Lee up front were being foiled by Heigham keeper. Jamie came on for Lee and fitted in well down the left. Matty scored Watton's first just before half-time. In the second half Cammy was pulling all the strings with Luke helping out, winning the tough battles. Matty scored Watton's second then a third by penalty from Cammy. Matt won a free-kick which Cammy took and Jimmy scored from. David and Lewis snuffed every attack out and with James and Jamie at full-back helping with the attack Watton were playing really well. Jack and Cammy took a short corner, Cammy went past three boys and set up Lee for his goal. Perry came on for Jimmy and had a hand in the sixth goal, a great low cross by Matty and a good dummy by Perry and on the half-volley Cammy smashed it in the bottom corner for a 6-0 win. Joint MoM: Matty and Cameron.

WATTON U15 played at home against league leaders Diss on Sunday. Diss started the brighter team playing some lovely football and Jase and Mikey struggled on the wings due to a strong Diss defence. The Watton midfield of Nath and Connor were on the receiving end of some crunching tackles and Watton's superb defence of Lewis, Fitzy and Joe looked solid until Joe was taken off injured. Diss were to score the first goal during this time. In the second half Watton, now with the wind behind, competed harder and wanted to be first to the ball. Nath and Coops worked relentlessly, winning the midfield battle and supplying the massive attacking threat of Bruno, Jase and Mikey. This soon led to a great move between Mikey and Bruno which brought the Watton equaliser. Watton now took the game to a frustrated Diss and looked the more dangerous team. But it was Diss who nearly scored a surprise winner, were it not for some great goalkeeping from Chris, and Mikey was to save Watton from a sure goal after running back 50m to make a crunching tackle inside their own penalty area. But all in all, another great performance from a Watton team growing in confidence. MoM: Nath.

WATTON U13 played at home to Wymondham, the toughest game of the season. Watton had a number of shots superbly saved until finally the elusive first goal was put away by Matty Russell. Wymondham responded but the Watton defence refused to let the ball past. Matty made the score 2 -0. Watton now had the advantage of a tail wind and used it to the full. Most of the game was now in their half with the Watton keeper only having to make a couple of great saves. Ben Dack was the next Watton player to find a way round the defence and scored the third goal. Wymondham are a well-established team and it showed in the way that they would not stop battling hard to score. Ollie Standley was finally rewarded with a superb goal after many near misses. The final goal went to Watton and was scored by the MoM Matty Russell, this made the final score 5-0 in Watton's favour. Watton's great team play from every player on the pitch was justly rewarded in a superb win.

You may also want to watch:

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus