‘We fought off really stiff competition,’ Stuart Webber on Norwich City’s new signing Marley Watkins
- Credit: PA
Marley Watkins fits the bill for the Canaries, admits sporting director Stuart Webber.
The 26-year-old attacker will officially join Daniel Farke’s revolution next month when his Barnsley contract expires after agreeing a three-year deal, with the option of a further year.
Watkins is currently with the Welsh squad after being called up for the first time for next week’s World Cup qualifer in Serbia.
“It’s a signing which epitomises what we’re now trying to do,” said Webber, speaking to the club’s official website. “Marley is unbelievably fit and unbelievably hard-working as well. He’s someone who can play wide, as well as through the middle.
“We’ve spoken about needing different types of players in the forward areas, so Marley very much fits into what we wanted.
“Having just been called up to the national team for the first time, it shows it’s not just us recognising his talents. We fought off really stiff competition to bring him here so I’m delighted. He scores all types of goals and is tactically very good. We’re really pleased to have got the deal over the line and are looking forward to working with him.”
You may also want to watch:
Watkins, speaking to BBC Wales, is keen to make a strong impression on Chris Coleman.
“It’s been a long journey but I always told myself to never give up,” he said. “No matter how hard it got, I wanted to aim as high as possible. I kept working hard and over time I feel it’s paid off.
- 1 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 3 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 4 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 6 City lose Giannoulis appeal; three-game ban stands
- 7 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 8 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 9 Pressure on Hornets for title-hunting City
- 10 Norwich City v Watford: everything you need to know
“It will be a great experience to play with top players like Aaron Ramsey and that can only benefit your game. Hopefully I can become a regular part of it.”