Webb braced for nervous times ahead

Paddy Davitt Bedford Town 0, King's Lynn 3: Lynn turned up the heat at The Eyrie as the Southern League Premier Division title race took a fresh twist. Keith Webb's men homed in on championship rivals Halesowen and Team Bath after the Yeltz crushed the morning leaders 3-0 in a top of the table Twerton Park shoot out.

Paddy Davitt

Bedford Town 0, King's Lynn 3

Lynn turned up the heat at The Eyrie as the Southern League Premier Division title race took a fresh twist.

Keith Webb's men homed in on championship rivals Halesowen and Team Bath after the Yeltz crushed the morning leaders 3-0 in a top of the table Twerton Park shoot out.

You may also want to watch:

Halesowen replaced Team Bath at the summit by a point with Lynn a point further adrift - both challengers have two games in hand on the new pacesetters.

Ben Sedgemore, Matt Nolan and Michael Frew's stoppage time free-kick completed a Bank Holiday double for the Linnets after Saturday's 6-2 romp over Cirencester.

Most Read

Lynn wrestled back control of their title destiny ahead of Team Bath's crunch visit on April 5 - but Webb refused to look beyond relegated Cheshunt ithis weekend.

"Cheshunt has to be the focus - I'm not even going to discuss the Team Bath game," he said. "That match will take care of itself. All along I predicted twists and turns and this proved it yet again.

"Beating Bedford puts thing back in our favour but I still believe it will go right to the death. We've just come off two draws and with games running out people may have felt those are massive points dropped, but we've come back strong again.

"I can't praise the lads enough. Over the last 10 days we've had four hard games on heavy pitches. To play Saturday and go again two days later shows the character in our squad."

In form Nolan struck his sixth goal in five games but Webb was indebted to keeper Scott Howie.

"We've got Scott to thank for the win," he said. "He's made three top, top saves and had more to do than I would have liked or we probably expected coming to a place like this.

"Matty has really pushed on and taken his chance. I knew what he was capable of but it's a case of re-producing it week in, week out. Once we got the first I felt confident we could relax and control the game. At half time the message was to keep it going and I was pleased not to concede late goals like we have in recent games."

Webb named an unchanged starting line-up with Mark Camm (calf) held in reserve for a second consecutive match. Ben Chapman (ribs) was forced off in the early stages but Webb is confident both will be available to face the Ambers.

"Ben's ribs were playing him up again so we decided to take him off as a precaution," said Webb. "It's great to be able to throw someone like Dean West on. Cammy was close but, again, I felt it was right to keep him back with the weekend in mind. Andrew Fisk has come in and done all right in both games. It proves the depth of our squad. I can't thank the board enough because what they've gone and out done is really coming home to roost now."

Town skipper Derwayne Stupple tested the alert Howie with a drilled effort from the edge of the box.

Nolan skied Jack Defty's through ball on 10 minutes after Sedgemore had towered above James Hatch.

Sedgemore broke the deadlock with a first time lash from six yards - arriving on cue to fire home Francis' drilled centre after Nolan's cute near post step-over deceived the Eagles' defence.

Andrew Stevens clutched Rikki Bains' glancing flick from John Turner's first time cross.

Howie palmed away Stuart Sinclair's shot with Andrew Phillips flagged offside as he attempted to despatch the follow up.

Nolan's swivelling strike flashed across Stevens' goal before partner Defty's close range header flew just over as Lynn slipped through the gears.

Nolan latched onto Sedgemore's weighted pass to slot home from an acute angle on 28 minutes.

Howie raced out to foil Sinclair again with Gavin Hoyte's timely diving tackle completing the clearance.

Jon Darby smuggled Nolan's goalbound touch behind after Francis had impudently flicked the ball over Rob Miller.

Turner's cutback struck Sinclair but referee Hair waved away penalty appeals from Lynn's travelling contingent.

Greg Crane hauled down Josh Sozzo on the restart but Stupple's set piece hit Fisk. West bravely blocked Eddie Lawley's close range strike after Ian Draycott's deep cross fell perfectly to the unmarked Eagles' defender. Fisk's piledriver at the opposite end slammed Craig Grieve.

Miller scuffed straight at Fisk when Hoyte's miscued header dropped to the overlapping full back.

Second half arrival Frew curled a dipping free kick just over Stevens' left hand upright after Stupple chopped down Francis.

Bloomfield's first touch rolled just wide when the predator pounced on indecision in the Eagles' rearguard.

Sedgemore's speculative left footer flew off target from Frew's timely block. Crane threw himself at Sozzo's shot before Howie denied the former Hitchin striker from a tight angle as Bedford launched a late push.

Howie saved his best until last with a smart parry to foil Draycott on 89 minutes. Frew curled a sublime

20-yard free-kick around Bedford's three man wall to seal the win.

Bedford: Stevens, Miller, Lawley, Darby, Grieve, Hatch, Fry (Draycott 59), Stupple, Phillips, Sozzo, Sinclair (Childs 59). Sub (not used): Gentle.

Booking: Stupple

King's Lynn: Howie, Bains, Chapman (West 38), Hoyte, Crane, Fisk, Turner (Bloomfield 74), Sedgemore, Defty (Frew 63), Nolan, Francis. Subs (not used): Melton, Murray.

Goals: Sedgemore (14), Nolan (28), Frew (90)

Referee: N Hair (Peterborough)

Attendance: 615

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus