Webb will tell players his future plans tomorrow
Paddy Davitt King's Lynn boss Keith Webb insists the club's ground grading crisis will have no impact on his decision to stay or go. Webb's current two-year deal runs out after this weekend's Blue Square North finale at Vauxhall Motors - a game that could also signal the end of Lynn's brief flirtation with the Conference.
King's Lynn boss Keith Webb insists the club's ground grading crisis will have no impact on his decision to stay or go.
Webb's current two-year deal runs out after this weekend's Blue Square North finale at Vauxhall Motors - a game that could also signal the end of Lynn's brief flirtation with the Conference. Lynn chairman Ken Bobbins is set to meet borough council officials early next week ahead of launching an appeal to try and overturn the league's decision to demote the club. Webb confirmed he had already made his mind up on his future prior to Lynn's possible expulsion for missing a league deadline to being a �250,000 upgrade to The Walks.
"This has come as a bolt out of the blue," he said. "I don't want to comment on the ground process because it is out of my hands but I have made a decision on my own future and what has happened in these past few days will not alter that. I want to tell the players first so I don't expect it to come out until after Saturday's game.
"For me, the real frustration about this whole situation is when you look at how much hard work has gone in by a lot of people to get us to this current level. I think it is a big ask in the current economic climate to expect clubs to undertake work on that scale, but by the same token, we all know how these leagues operate and rules are rules."
Webb admits it is the supporters who will bear the brunt should the club slide down the non league pyramid, adding: "I feel most sorry for the fans. They've followed the club everywhere, not just this season, but through the lower divisions. They certainly don't deserve it because they are the very lifeblood of the club. You just hope the Conference takes into account the fact that the ground is owned by the council. It's not a straight-forward case of undertaking the work. They have committees and procedures to follow before funds can be put in place and you start the work, but at this point it looks like the powers-that-be have decided to reach a different conclusion."
- 1 City's first home game selected for TV coverage
- 2 Chris Sutton: The City trio who need to perform in pre-season
- 3 Neil hones in on City Championship reunion
- 4 Teemu Pukki's future: The inside track from Finland
- 5 'Teemu has a desire to play as high as possible' - Pukki's agent on City future
- 6 City announce academy pre-season schedule
- 7 City gem Aarons advised not to follow the money
- 8 Stephen Fry joins forces with Norwich City to raise awareness of mental health
- 9 Surprise World Cup shot for ex-City boss
- 10 Feyenoord interested in Tzolis - reports
Webb is adamant Lynn's home ground is far from the worst in Blue Square North after his travels this season across the north of the country.
"I've visited the majority and undoubtedly there are worst grounds in this league," he said. "I've seen in some quarters Histon being put forward as an example when they first came up, but obviously they worked with league officials and have been given time to put things in place as they moved through the levels. You can't tell me that Lynn doesn't have the same potential. They've shown it in the past when you look at the likes of the Oldham FA Cup game that they are capable of staging matches on a big scale."