Webber hopes to have most of City’s squad settled before pre-season kicks off
- Credit: Tony Thrussell
Completing business early is the aim for Norwich City but Stuart Webber admits he may have to be patient to sign some of his targets this summer.
The Canaries' sporting director has already signed winger Patrick Roberts on a season-long loan, sealed new contracts for Tim Krul, Marco Stiepermann and Tim Krul, sent three young players out on loan and released high earners Steven Naismith, Matt Jarvis and Yanic Wildschut.
"We might have to wait for one or two later because maybe the prices will go down in some places," Webber said of his summer transfer plans.
"It can go one of two ways, if the club is selling a prime asset then the price can go up but if it's someone who's not that involved in their squad at the moment, that they rate at £5million, then it can get to the point that at the end of the window they might say you can take him on loan or for a £1million or whatever.
"It might be a little bit later, it certainly won't be deadline day rushing around and Sky cameras here and all that - that won't be happening.
"They key thing is that we don't believe we need to do too much, we're not sat here saying we need to sign seven or eight players, it's about signing the right ones. If that's quickly or slowly, then so be it."
While that theoretical example rings true with the situation surrounding a possible return for striker Jordan Rhodes, Webber also stressed that there are significant advantages to business being completed early.
You may also want to watch:
"I'd rather it's done more quickly, like with Patrick Roberts, bang, it's done," he continued.
"He's here now and ready for day one and the whole of pre-season with us, the benefit of any team bonding we do together out in Germany, any dinners the lads have, we can get his house sorted long before the season starts.
- 1 'You get relegated playing the Norwich way' - Old boy Bruce on Magpies' sorry plight
- 2 EFL announce revised schedule to avoid Prince Philip funeral clash
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Derby County win
- 4 Paddy Davitt verdict: Wazza and City's great leap forward
- 5 Record-breaking week continues for Canaries
- 6 'We showed Norwich too much respect' - Rooney on Rams' reverse
- 7 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 8 ‘Ninety points is usually enough’ - Dowell buzzing for City’s big day
- 9 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 10 Spud Thornhill: Early days, but can City break that promotion record?
"If you sign someone late in the window, like we saw with Tim Krul last year - who was our latest one in late July - he only had two friendlies against Luton and Charlton and was behind, and by all accounts had a slow start to the season.
"We need to try and avoid that of course but sometimes things might dictate that it's out of our hands a little bit on that."
- You can watch the full video of our exclusive interview with Webber above or by subscribing to the Pinkun podcast.