‘I do not understand this’ – Injured City defender annoyed that West Ham striker’s tackle went unpunished
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
An anxious wait is under way for Norwich City after Christoph Zimmermann was injured by a bad tackle which left the popular defender shocked to see West Ham striker Sebastien Haller escape unpunished.
The centre-back had only returned from summer knee surgery in midweek but left the London Stadium on crutches, with his right leg in a protective boot, following a 2-0 defeat.
That added to a serious knee injury for Timm Klose and a groin issue for Grant Hanley, leaving Daniel Farke's central defensive options depleted.
"We'll see, I don't know exactly what it is," he explained. "Everyone has seen the scene, in the first half, contact on the inside and potentially I rolled the ankle.
"I can't really remember what happened because it happened quite quickly but we will have to see in the next days how everything is."
Zimmermann was making a routine clearance in the 21st minute when Haller launched into a tackle to try and block the ball but instead took the City defender out, leaving him writhing in pain.
You may also want to watch:
A free-kick wasn't even awarded by referee Paul Tierney and video assistant referee Andre Marriner didn't see enough in the challenge to intervene in a red card decision.
"I do not understand this, to be fair," Zimmermann said. "I mean I'm certainly not a player who wants to see others get a card or be sent off.
- 1 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 2 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 3 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 4 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 5 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 6 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 7 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
- 8 Farke is not looking over his shoulder at City
- 9 Norwich City v Bristol City - all you need to know
- 10 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
"But after the physios came on I thought I could stay on the pitch and I thought he would at least get a booking - but when the ref told me, if anything, I was surprised."
Three minutes later Haller scored, with Zimmermann trying to continue but being unable to cut out the cross which was turned in by the Frenchman - before admitting defeat and being replaced by Ibrahim Amadou after the goal.
"What's more frustrating is that I tried to carry on," the German explained." I was okay for one or two minutes and then I felt like I couldn't push off the ground any more.
"So I think if it wasn't for that, when we conceded the first goal I could have defended the cross a bit better but unfortunately that was not the case. I could not stop the ball coming in and they scored a good goal. Several things came together there that were a bit unfortunate."