Imagine if Cristiano Ronaldo had scored that! Was James Maddison’s Reading free-kick the best scored by a Norwich City player?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
James Maddison has been earning rave reviews for his performances so far this season – but his glorious free-kick at Reading arguably topped the lot.
The 20-year-old midfielder’s whipped effort from at least 25 yards set the Canaries on their way to EFL Championship victory at Reading on Saturday evening, live on Sky Sports.
In fact, Maddison’s goal left co-commentator Don Goodman simply exclaiming “Wow” in immediate reaction to the stunning strike.
It was City’s first goal scored direct from a free-kick in 99 league games, since Graham Dorrans did so at home to Fulham in April 2015.
Although it was also the second scored by a Norwich player this month, after Mario Vrancic placed a lovely low, bending effort home at Brentford in City’s 3-1 Carabao Cup third round success.
You may also want to watch:
Maddison’s free-kick also won the satellite broadcaster’s Goal of the Day – prompting some City fans to wonder how good Maddison’s goal actually was?
The 13th minute free-kick has already been compared to those produced by former England, Manchester United and Real Madrid star David Beckham – who also wore number 23 at the Bernabeu, with Maddison a self-confessed United fan as a boy.
- 1 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries tracking Bosnia midfielder
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Bordeaux winger on the radar
- 4 'Criminally underrated' - City ace a huge Euros miss for Villa star
- 5 Sinani ready for a scrap at City
- 6 Norwich City transfer rumours: Premier League forward in Canaries' sights
- 7 Buendia's Argentina call-up leaves Canaries in unfamiliar territory
- 8 Hit or miss? City's Premier League loan history
- 9 From Croatia to Iceland - the mixed fortunes of City's loan stable
- 10 Delia reveals Norwich squad's touching tribute to her late mother Etty
Footballing royalty in Andrea Pirlo, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have all produced stunning, curling dead-ball strikes revered the world over. Here you can have a look at how Maddison’s effort stacks up against a select few.
Former City star Robbie Brady never managed a direct free-kick during his time in yellow – and then produced a stunner on his Burnley debut following his big money move back to the Premier League.
But Maddison’s strike does pose the question – has a better direct free-kick been scored by a Norwich City player?
It has stern competition from Phil Mulryne, who notched a beauty at Grimsby on his full debut for the club back in early 1999.
Want to add to the discussion? Leave your thoughts with a comment below or follow the PinkUn on Facebook.