Who are Arminia Bielefeld? The lowdown on Norwich City’s first opponents of pre-season
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Arminia Bielefeld and Norwich City have met in pre-season before – much has changed for the Canaries during the intervening two years before the teams play out another friendly this afternoon.
Bielefeld were the final opponents of City's pre-season tour in Germany during the early days of Daniel Farke's reign in 2017, winning 3-1 at Arminia's 26,000 capacity Schuco-Arena thanks to goals from Cameron Jerome, Steven Naismith and Nelson Oliveira.
Just six of the 18 players in the squad for the Canaries that day are still with the club, although goal-scorer Oliveira is not with the travelling party ahead of his expected exit.
Ben Godfrey, Christoph Zimmermann, Mario Vrancic, Alex Tettey and Jamal Lewis were the other five, with a knee injury ruling Zimmermann out of the current pre-season, although the German centre-back has travelled with the squad as he begins around six weeks of rehabilitation after minor knee surgery.
This time it is a Premier League side Farke will field against the Blues, fresh from their Championship title triumph and kicking off their pre-season preparations ahead of a high-profile curtain-raiser away to European champions Liverpool on August 9.
Bielefeld went on to finish fourth in Bundesliga II during 2017-18 and seventh in the German second tier last season after a rather mediocre campaign.
This time the game - a 4pm kick-off locally (3pm UK time) - will be played at the smaller 11,000 capacity Energieversum Stadion in Gutersloh though, just south of Bielefeld.
You may also want to watch:
The German side have lost defender Julian Borner from their ranks, who has been linked with Norwich in the past but has now joined Sheffield Wednesday.
Long-serving striker Fabian Klos has scored over 100 goals for the club and was still the Blues' top scorer last season with 17 goals in 33 league games.
- 1 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 defeat against Watford
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Hornets frustrate City in title tussle
- 3 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 4 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Watford defeat
- 5 Farke laments 'average' City display in Watford defeat
- 6 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest
- 7 QPR forced to deny manager is leaving ahead of City clash
- 8 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 9 'Blown away' - Gibson reveals how City wooed him for Premier League push
- 10 Hanley insists winning title 'means everything' to Canaries
Bielefeld were a top flight side five seasons on the spin between 2004 and 2009 but have spent three campaigns in the third tier since then.
- Our reporters warmed up for the game with a visit to Daniel Farke's former club Lippstadt, you can watch the video above
- We'll also be bringing you all the action from Sunday's game, follow updates at Pinkun.com and make sure to download the Pink Un app for exclusive insight and analysis from our reporters