Who was your Norwich City man-of-the-match against Aston Villa?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City’s woeful run at Villa Park continued with a 4-2 Championship defeat - but who performed best for the Canaries?
Josh Murphy scored from Harrison Reed’s excellent clipped pass and then picked out Nelson Oliveira to slot a second but City were heavily punished for a dire first half and a number of costly turnovers.
Angus Gunn shipped four but it would have been a far bigger defeat but for the shot-stopping ability of the Manchester City loanee, who had to race from his line inside the opening seconds to foil the dangerous Keinan Davis. Gunn acrobatically thwarted the same man again but had not chance when Conor Hourihane was left unmarked to notch the first of his three goals.
City chief Daniel Farke felt a sense of injustice at the manner of a deflected third Villa goal and an apparent handball in the build up to the fourth but his side were second best all over the park.
Marco Stiepermann was busy and eager to impress on his full debut but Norwich’s midfield were unable to exert the control required to dominate with their possession-based game.
You may also want to watch:
Our Norwich correspondent, Paddy Davitt, went for Gunn who despite conceding four was left badly exposed by the men in front of him. Not for the first time already in the opening days of the new season.
• Cast your vote in the poll
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 3 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 4 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 7 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 8 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 9 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
- 10 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies