Who was your Norwich City man-of-the-match against Millwall?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City shipped four on the road for the second consecutive weekend against Millwall - but did any emerge with credit for the Canaries?
This marked a new low in the early reign of Daniel Farke. City pitched up at the Den with an array of creative midfield talent behind the freescoring Nelson Oliveira. What they lacked, not for the first time under the German, was any semblance of how to protect Angus Gunn when they routinely lost possession and left themselves vulnerable to the counter or any number of set pieces.
Gunn is learning the harsh facts of life as a professional, but there is no protection from a backline which was squarely blamed by Farke for this latest calamity against a newly-promoted side seeking their first league win at kick-off.
Oliveira was denied by Jordan Archer, who also smothered a couple of near post efforts from Josh Murphy. Wes Hoolahan continued to prod and probe with the game long since up in the second half, whilst Harrison Reed tried gamely to stem the tide with limited success, and was heavily punished for failing to deal with the threat in the build up to Millwall’s second.
Norwich City’s travelling support turned up in big numbers again but after watching the Canaries self-implode at Villa Park they were treated to another shambolic display. They deserve better.
You may also want to watch:
Our Norwich correspondent, Paddy Davitt, went for Oliveira, who may have failed to add to his growing goal tally but showed enough latent threat again to underline why he continues to be publicly courted by Reading chief Jaap Stam, ahead of next week’s transfer deadline. City’s top brass must resist all offers for one of the few genuine bright spots in a turbulent opening month.
• Cast your vote in the poll
- 1 Aarons suffers shin injury
- 2 Thankless task for makeshift striker Marco in Coventry draw
- 3 'I am not injured. I'm just no longer wanted' - Drmic makes his case
- 4 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Sky Blues
- 5 Six things you might have missed after City suffered late heartbreak to draw with Coventry
- 6 Farke admits injury crisis is 'surreal'
- 7 Paddy Davitt verdict: Farke and the City curse
- 8 Former City midfielder heads Down Under
- 9 IN FULL: Norwich City's unprecedented injury list
- 10 Norwich City kick-off times changed due to TV coverage