Owls striker reveals how close he came to signing for Norwich City
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Steven Fletcher has revealed how close he came to joining Norwich City in the summer of 2016.
Fletcher was on his way to hold talks with then Canaries boss Alex Neil after leaving Sunderland before getting a call from his agent saying that Sheffield Wednesday were also interested.
One call to Scotland international team-mate Barry Bannan later and Fletcher had all but decided to spurn Norwich and sign for the Yorkshire giants.
He said: "It was Baz (Bannan) who got me to sign. I was going down to talk with Norwich. Alex Neil was the manager - he's probably still not happy with me, I don't think.
MORE: Promotion prompts likely exits for fringe players"I was driving down and my agent had called me on the way down saying, listen, Sheffield Wednesday are keen. I was looking at the sat-nav thinking, there's still six hours left from Glasgow to Norwich - still a long way to go. I was half-way, I was thinking, Sheffield's just there, do you know what I mean?
"I texted him and said, what's Wednesday like? He said, brilliant. I said, they want me to go speak to them. He said, you need to come. And I was like, right - sat-nav, changing it. I went in and signed that night.
You may also want to watch:
"I had to tell Alex Neil, aye. He wasn't happy. Can't even say it on camera! Nah, it wasn't too bad, just, OK. That's even worse, isn't it?"
Norwich turned their attentions elsewhere and signed Nelson Oliveira later that summer for a reported fee of £5m from Benfica.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 3 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 4 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 5 Soto's loan at Telstar ends as City close on work permit for USA striker
- 6 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe
- 7 Dowell hoping to make more happy FA Cup memories with Canaries
- 8 Patience a virtue for City striker after injury had threatened his Premier League pursuit
- 9 February fixture changes for Canaries
- 10 Iwan Roberts: Hugill showed he truly belongs at Norwich City