Wickham - I want to hurt Norwich City
Sunderland’s former Ipswich hitman Connor Wickham admits he has unfinished business with the Canaries.
Wickham wants to set the record straight after being on the wrong side of City’s 5-1 success at Portman Road during the final stages of their promotion charge to the Premier League last season. Wickham has also experienced the bitter pain of defeat in the north-east version against Newcastle last month.
“Playing against Norwich on Monday will be tough,” he said. “I played against them last season and we got beat 5-1, so I’ll be going there looking to get some revenge.
“The derby here is much more intense than Norwich versus Ipswich. But to be part of any derby is great, the buzz you get livens you up and you think ‘I’m really up for this game now’.
“I want to go back there and hurt them. You’re going to get stick, but that’s football. I want to make the fans go quiet. Ipswich is a great club and they taught me everything I know. I was there since I was 11 years old. What they did for me was brilliant, but I’ve moved on. I’m in the Premier League now and I’ve got to show what I can do.”
You may also want to watch:
The England U21 striker is still awaiting his first Premier League start following his �8m summer move to Wearside.
“It’s been quite frustrating when we’ve not been doing well and I’ve wanted to go on earlier and show what I’m capable of,” he said. “But I’ve just got to do the best I can in the time I get on the pitch. Hopefully I do enough in that 15 or 20 minutes to show I’m capable of doing what I’ve done at Ipswich.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 4 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 7 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 8 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 9 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
“Every day in training and every game, you need to do your best and if you do that, it builds your confidence. I’m high in confidence at the moment and that’s key for any footballer. Let’s hope I get my time on the pitch and the goals start coming.”