‘A point closer to promotion’ – Canaries fans stay positive despite frustration of draw at Wigan
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Successive draws may have halted Norwich City’s charge to the Premier League slightly but supporters still have full faith that Daniel Farke’s side will finish the job after a 1-1 draw at Wigan.
The Canaries extended their unbeaten streak to 10 matches thanks to Teemu Pukki salvaging a point but the draw was on the back of a 2-2 home stalemate against another of the relegation threatened sides, Reading in midweek.
A controversial Reece James penalty just before half-time was cancelled out by Pukki in the 81st minute, scoring his 27th league goal of the campaign – in front of a remarkable 5,300 away fans in Greater Manchester for a Sunday midday kick-off, the club’s biggest travelling support for a league game in 15 years.
It puts City in a fine position sitting four points clear at the top of the Championship with four games remaining and, crucially, seven clear of third placed Sheffield United.
It leaves Farke knowing six points will seal promotion, ahead of a home game with play-off chasing Sheffield Wednesday on Friday and a trip to mid-table Stoke on Easter Monday.
You may also want to watch:
If the situation isn’t resolved after those games a home clash with Blackburn, who have nothing left to play for, and a trip to play-off bound Aston Villa on the final day await.
• Take a look at some of the best of the fan reaction above and below
• You can follow all the action, analysis and reaction from the DW Stadium in our Matchday Live blog at pinkun.com/live
• And make sure to download the Pink Un app for exclusive insight and analysis from our Canaries correspondents
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 2 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 4 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 5 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: Cup finals aplenty if City seal the deal
- 7 Rusty returns could prove crucial in the long run for fit-again City stars
- 8 'Concentrate on the league klaxon' - City fans express disappointment at FA Cup exit
- 9 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder