Wigan in confident mood for opener
Wigan’s summer signing Dave Jones admits confidence is sky high in the Latics’ camp ahead of tomorrow’s Premier League opener against Norwich.
The 24-year-old wants to hit the ground running after joining his seventh professional club of a nomadic career following a summer move from Wolves.
He said: “Of course with the start of a new season you have got that big build-up for the start and we are looking forward to it. I’ve been part of the squad since the start of pre-season and everyone is feeling good and confident about the season ahead. I had a really successful time (at Wolves) in my three years with getting promoted and managing to stay up there for two years. It was sad to leave and it was a difficult one, but for football reasons I decided against staying. Hopefully I can develop as a player and move on at Wigan. I just want to get into training and make an impact and give the manager difficult decisions.”
The one-time Manchester United trainee initially only joined Roberto Martinez’s squad to build up his close-season fitness.
He said: “I was delighted to join. I have been training at the club for a few weeks now. I’ve really enjoyed my time so far in pre-season. Originally I just came in to get fit and train, which the manager and staff allowed me to do, but we’ve managed to sort out a deal.”
You may also want to watch:
Jones is poised to be used in an impact role during the opening weeks of the new campaign after featuring only sporadically during Wigan’s pre-season fixtures which culminated with a 1-0 win over Champions League opponents Villarreal.
- 2 MATCHDAY RECAP: Huge goals for Hugill as City create daylight at the top
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-0 Bristol City win
- 4 'Best team in the division' - Bristol boss hails City's stylish success
- 5 Hot Hugill caps a season's best display for City boss
- 6 Hugill brace ensures superb City beat Bristol
- 7 'Great header' - Hugill's goal earns seal of approval from Holt
- 8 Farke maps out his risk averse strategy on Pukki and Krul
- 9 LOAN WATCH: Success for Heise and recognition for Adshead
- 10 STARTING XIs: Krul returns for Canaries against Bristol City