Wigan in confident mood for opener
Wigan’s summer signing Dave Jones admits confidence is sky high in the Latics’ camp ahead of tomorrow’s Premier League opener against Norwich.
The 24-year-old wants to hit the ground running after joining his seventh professional club of a nomadic career following a summer move from Wolves.
He said: “Of course with the start of a new season you have got that big build-up for the start and we are looking forward to it. I’ve been part of the squad since the start of pre-season and everyone is feeling good and confident about the season ahead. I had a really successful time (at Wolves) in my three years with getting promoted and managing to stay up there for two years. It was sad to leave and it was a difficult one, but for football reasons I decided against staying. Hopefully I can develop as a player and move on at Wigan. I just want to get into training and make an impact and give the manager difficult decisions.”
The one-time Manchester United trainee initially only joined Roberto Martinez’s squad to build up his close-season fitness.
He said: “I was delighted to join. I have been training at the club for a few weeks now. I’ve really enjoyed my time so far in pre-season. Originally I just came in to get fit and train, which the manager and staff allowed me to do, but we’ve managed to sort out a deal.”
You may also want to watch:
Jones is poised to be used in an impact role during the opening weeks of the new campaign after featuring only sporadically during Wigan’s pre-season fixtures which culminated with a 1-0 win over Champions League opponents Villarreal.
- 1 Canaries not pursuing Spurs defender; Billing latest
- 2 Norwich City issue face masks advice to fans
- 3 City boss raises the bar ahead of Carrow Road return
- 4 City release 2021/22 squad numbers
- 5 Norwich City transfer rumours: Talks held with United full-back
- 6 Canaries visit a matter of pride for Gills boss
- 7 STARTNG XIs: Gibson and Giannoulis return for City against Gills
- 8 City recruitment chief to join Boro
- 9 Balance of risk and reward for Norwich legend at Swansea
- 10 Get ready for 'new, improved' VAR, City fans