Win delight sees Thetford rise

Viv Thomas Ipswich Wanderers 1, Thetford Town 2: It was a good weekend for Thetford Town who came back from their trip to Ipswich Wanderers with their first win of the season.

Viv Thomas

It was a good weekend for Thetford Town who earned their first win of the season - which took them off the bottom of the Ridgeons Division One table and up three places.

New Thetford manager Mark Scott was delighted with the result, saying: “It was excellent, very pleasing to get the win. It was a hard game with a few players missing.”

He hopes this result can kick-start Thetford's season: “We have made steady progress after some upheaval,” he said.

“We have lost four or five players already and will lose some more to university. We have new players but we haven't managed to get the same team out for four games!”

He added Thetford were hoping to recruit some more players and that progress was good after a shaky start to the season. “It's promising,” he said. “We're away to Stow[market] on Saturday, who are in a bit of turmoil themselves - looking forward to that one.”

Most Read

Ipswich Wanderers 1, Thetford Town 2

On a very bumpy pitch, Wanderers put Thetford under pressure with the dangerous Swann testing Corston with some early shots, writes Bob Richards.

Town replied with new signing Gibbons putting in a good cross with no-one to finish.

Ipswich took the lead when a cross from the left was converted by Swann.

Town replied and Howard broke through, only to see the keeper save at the second attempt.

Then Thompson did well out-jumping the keeper, only to see his effort go wide. The game had chances at both ends with Corston the busier keeper but no real threats.

Town's Davies appeared to equalise but was ruled offside.

Within two minutes of the re-start Davies scored a good ball found him on the right and, with the keeper advancing, he lobbed him into the bottom corner of the net.

Ipswich responded and Town rode their luck but Corston looked comfortable.

Town did look dangerous on the break, and Mann had a chance but his shot went over.

Town took the lead on 75 minutes when a cross from Davies was met by the head of Simon Mann who headed past the keeper.

Town then endured some late pressure - with an outstanding save from Corston on 85 minutes - to ensure Town took all three points.

Meanwhile, Thetford Reserves started their campaign with a 6-5 defeat at Woodbridge Town.

Thetford U18 have a friendly tomorrow against Norwich United, 7.45pm kick-off.