Wisbech Town 4 Northampton ON Chenecks 3: Fenmen hold on for victory despite late drama
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town’s unbeaten run was extended to eight games with a 4-3 win over lowly Northampton O.N. Chenecks but, as the scoreline suggests, it was far from straightforward.
The early signs were good as the Fenmen dominated possession but clear-cut chances were not forthcoming. Twenty minutes in, Adam Millson missed from five yards after Michael Frew’s low shot rebounded to him off the base of the post, but Jon Fairweather was on hand five minutes later to head home a Danny Setchell corner.
Another Setchell corner in the 36th minute saw Kieran Hamilton extend the Fenmen’s lead with a low shot through a crowded penalty area.
Three minutes before the break, Millson made amends for his earlier miss with a well-placed long-range strike past the diving keeper.
Two deflected free-kicks early in the second half from Calvin Budd gave the visitors some hope of taking something from the game, but Alex Beck tapped home from two yards with five minutes remaining to restore the two-goal lead.
You may also want to watch:
But Jonny Muddiman pulled another goal back in stoppage time although there wasn’t enough time remaining to find an equaliser.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Dowell stunner puts City on cusp of promotion
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' spirited 1-0 Championship win against Derby County
- 3 'Our only concern' - Farke reveals City's promotion roadmap
- 4 Farke makes a pact with City squad
- 5 Premier League here we come for City chief Farke
- 6 Stiepermann opens up about health problems
- 7 City boss too busy to worry about his contract at the moment
- 8 Farke on Canaries records, Rooney and respecting the Rams
- 9 Norwich City transfer rumours: Prolific Greek international in Canaries' sights
- 10 Farke hopes 'outstanding' City midfielder can shake off injury issues