Workington 4, King's Lynn 3

FA TROPHY FIRST ROUND: Today's tie at Borough Park in the first round proper of the FA Trophy between Workington and King's Lynn survived the overnight monsoon rains and last week's ice and snow to be given the go ahead, this not least due to the outstanding work by Reds groundsman Jack Curven who had worked ceaselessly from dawn to prepare a playable surface.

FA Trophy First Round

Today's tie at Borough Park in the first round proper of the FA Trophy between Workington and King's Lynn survived the overnight monsoon rains and last week's ice and snow to be given the go ahead, this not least due to the outstanding work by Reds groundsman Jack Curven who had worked ceaselessly from dawn to prepare a playable surface.

For the Linnets it was a case of you wait 25 years for a game against the Reds and then another comes along immediately afterwards as the quirk of the FA draw led to two long trips for Lynn on successive Saturdays.

It was the first time that the two clubs have ever been drawn together in FA competition and on the evidence of last week an evenly balanced and hard fought tie was to be expected.

You may also want to watch:

The team news Ben Chapman misses the game due to a recurrence of the shoulder injury he reactivated in last week's encounter and which necessitated him having to leave the field, he was replaced at left back by Charlie Defty.

Another change saw Ben Sedgemore replace Julian Joachim in the starting line up with Sedgemore also taking the captains armband instead of Mark Camm. Bradley Thomas side lined last week was fit enough to take a bench seat along with John Turner, Joe Francis and reserve keeper Rob Murray.

Most Read

From the pre-match warm up it was obvious that the pitch would soon begin to cut up as the rain continued to teem down at Borough Park.

Reds won the toss and set Lynn to attack the town end. Tony Wright put in a teasing cross but Charlie Defty saw the ball out for a goal kick to deny a scoring opportunity.

This after Crane had made two good early tackles.

Howeverr Workington took an early lead after just four minutes when fullback Rowntree crossed the ball in where Phil McLuckie forced the ball home from close range.

For Lynn Frew replied with a break and hit a low shot which Collin got down to make a good save.

The reds returned to the attack with John Wright playing in Gareth Arnison who hit a powerful drive inches over the Lynn bar. On eight minutes weaver was then cautioned for a foul on Tony Wright but Rowntree who took the free kick slipped and the chance was wasted.

For Lynn Crane hit a long ball to Frew who crossed and laid the ball back to Sedgemore who played the ball in deep to the back post where it was brilliantly tipped away by Collin with Hewson completing the clearance.

When the reds broke to the attack Mitchell and the Workington forward were involved in a midfield scuffle with the attack eventually being ended by good defensive work from Weaver and Crane.

Workington added to their lead in the 13th minute when Lynn tried to play an offside as Shaun Vipond played in Gareth Arnison who went round Howie and slipped the ball into the empty net.

Workington were looking dangerous on every attack especially down their left flank with Rowntree and Tony Wright again combining with John Wright to get a dangerous cross which was just out of reach of the red centre forward.

Lynn now had a spell of pressure but it was repulsed without the visitors being able to register a shot on target.

It was Tony Wright again on the left who hit over a dangerous ball which Charlie Defty did extremely well to head away as John Wright lurked in front of an empty net.

For Lynn Smith picked up a loose ball and moved forward to force a corner which was headed clear by Arnison and when Frew played the ball back in Collin was able to make a fine catch under pressure.

Rowntree made a good interception finding Tony Wright who crossed for the Workington right back Hewson to fire in a shot from which Howie made a good save.

At the other end reds newcomer David Campion on loan from Carlisle got in a good tackle to deny Jack Defty as Smith fired in another left wing cross.

It was then brother Charlie Defty's turn to make an excellent tackle to deny John Wright.

Jack Defty then set up a shooting chance for Sedgemore but again Colin was equal to the task and made a good stop.

When John Wright broke through the Lynn defence Charlie Defty was once again on hand to stop the dangerous reds leader.

Another attack on the left flank form Workington this time brought Crane into the action with a fine saving tackle.

Lynn returned to the attack and forced three corners from the last of which Workington should have done better as they broke clear of a three man attack, John Wright getting himself offside and putting the ball wide with two other players well-placed to take advantage.

On 40 minutes Lynn pulled a goal back when a reds player was penalised for hand ball, Sedgemore taking the kick which went through a crowd of players to take a wicked deflection off MICHAEL FREW to wrong foot the helpless Collin.

Just before the interval Kyle May had a superb chance to put reds 3-1 up but from five yards put his effort against the post with Howie well beaten.

t Half-time: Workington 2, King's Lynn 1

Frew put Workington right back Hewson under pressure and won a free kick by the corner flag which he took himself and hit hard across the face of the goal for LUKE GRAHAM to get a faint headed touch and deflect the ball past Collin.

It was Weaver's final touch of the game as he was immediately substituted by Bradley Thomas.

Another Frew cross was this time well headed away by Hewson as Lynn applied pressure. Lynn now made another substitution with Turner replacing Sedgemore as Lynn pushed forward as they sought to win the tie.

Jack Defty forced Lynn's fifth corner which was whipped in by Adam Smith for the Workington keeper to show good skills as he claimed the ball. Twice Workington defenders made good clearing headers as Lynn continued their attacks.

Roundtree was knocked out taking a clearance from Graham full in the face but was able to resume after a lengthy stoppage.

Workington clearing the ball broke with a dangerous attack which Crane was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box and give the Reds a penalty kick which ARNISON scored low to Howie's right hand, this after 63 minutes.

A minute later Arnison burst through again and beat two defenders but this time his shot brought a fine save from the Lynn keeper which he turned for a corner.

Catching the ball he cleared long downfield to Turner who hit a low hard cross which was turned into his own goal by a Workington defender.

John Wright for the Reds then a shot deflected over the bar for a corner when the ball broke out to newcomer CAMPION he shot a back through a crowd of players to put the Reds once again into the lead.

Crane then made a great tackle to deny Wright as the Reds leader burst clean through. Graham was now cautioned for a foul on Tony Wright as he stopped a left flank Workington attack.

Lynn now played their last throw of the dice as they brought on Francis for Smith after 78 minutes.

It nearly brought results when Francis had a golden opportunity unmarked and an empty net to shoot at from five yards but his weak side footed effort was miraculously hacked off the line by Roundtree, this after the ball had been played into the box and the Workington keeper had missed his punch.

Lynn threw everyone forward in a last desperate attempt to level matters but it was to no avail and Workington ran out winners in a pulsating tie by 4-3.

t Result: Workington 4, King's Lynn 3

t Att: 240

t King's Lynn: Howie, Weaver, C Defty, Graham, Crane, Camm, Sedgemore, Mitchell, J Defty, Frew, Smith

Subs: Joachim, Thomas, Turner, Francis, Murray

t Workington: Collin, Hewson, Roundtree, May, Campion, McLuckie, Fipond, Langford, J Wright, Arnison, T Wright

Subs: Robinson, Hardman, Coleman, Edmondson

t Referee: Mr M J Denton, Todmorden

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus