Worthy waits on Croft’s decision
Nigel Worthington was hoping for an answer today from Manchester City winger Lee Croft over his proposed £600,000 move to Carrow Road. Wigan-born Croft, 21, had talks with the Canaries on Wednesday and had a medical before returning home to think over the deal.
City boss Nigel Worthington was hoping for an answer today from Manchester City winger Lee Croft over his proposed £600,000 move to Carrow Road.
Wigan-born Croft, 21, had talks with the Canaries on Wednesday and had a medical before returning home to think over the deal.
“There's no answer at the moment but I'm hoping to have something to report today. But there is no hard and fast timing on it,” said Worthington this morning.
Whether the deal could be completed in time for Croft to feature in the City squad for tomorrow's friendly at home to Northampton remains to be seen, as Worthington admitted: “That would depend on how much training he has done with Manchester City as the Premiership starts two weeks later than the Championship. I would have to assess his fitness because I don't know how much work he has done.”
You may also want to watch:
Croft will cost City a further £100,000 if they gain promotion - and they yesterday revealed they had been trailing him for the past year.
Worthington said his opinion on Croft had effectively been rubber-stamped by new first team coach Martin Hunter, who knows the player from his time as England Under-19 coach.
- 1 “It was high on Ben and it was a red card' - Giannoulis bang to rights for Woodgate
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Premier League-bound Canaries' 3-1 defeat against Bournemouth
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Bournemouth defeat
- 4 'A wonderful season' - Praise pours in for City from legends and pundits
- 5 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: I'll have a P please City
- 7 'Amazing' - Buendia hails City's special promotion achievement
- 8 City players and fans celebrate promotion on social media
- 9 Farke savours sweet Premier League promotion after rollercoaster ride
- 10 'Big Six' join European Super League 24 hours after City's promotion
“Martin certainly worked with the player and knows his character and so on,” he said. “We have had him watched several times and Martin has added to what we saw at close quarters. We've been trailing him and his situation for about 12 months.”
The only concern for Worthington may be that Coventry, Leeds and Birmingham are also reportedly interested in the player, though Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce said Norwich had tabled the only satisfactory offer.