Wroxham 2, Brentwood 0
- Credit: IAN BURT
Wroxham gained sweet revenge for their FA Cup humiliation earlier in the season as they beat Brentwood at Trafford Park on Saturday.
The Essex side had beaten the Yachtsmen 5-0 at the same venue in the Cup in September, but this time goals from Andy Eastaugh and Ben Thompson ensured victory for David Batch’s men.
Wroxham were unchanged from the 0-0 draw at Needham Market on Tuesday, but had to make two substitutions in the first 20 minutes.
First, Jamie Speller pulled up with an injury after 10 minutes and had to be replaced by Ben Lewis. Ten minutes later, Matty Daniels suffered a hamstring injury and Angelo Harrop came on in his place.
The changes did not hamper the hosts as Harrop in particular impressed in midfield.
You may also want to watch:
Just before half-time, a sweeping pass from Ross Durrant found Ben Thompson and he set up Ben Jones, whose shot was palmed wide by the Brentwood keeper. Harrop delivered the resulting corner and Eastaugh smashed the ball home to give Wroxham the lead.
The visitors responded with plenty of possession at the start of the second half, but Jake Jessup’s save in the 53rd minute proved to be the only real test for the home keeper.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: City remain top despite Luton defeat
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Luton Town 3 Canaries 1
- 3 Luton Town v Norwich City: Everything you need to know
- 4 Luton 3-1 City: Tired Canaries come up well short
- 5 Norwich City transfer rumours: Arsenal linked with Canaries playmaker
- 6 Bullish Farke unhappy at defending and key calls in Luton defeat
- 7 Paddy Davitt: City player ratings against Luton Town
- 8 Farke on young blood and Hatters at boiling point
- 9 'A perfect storm' - Fans have their say as injuries finally take their toll on Canaries
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Luton Town v Norwich City
With 20 minutes remaining, Sam Harty replaced striker Matt Blake to add extra strength to the midfield and he excelled alongside Harrop and Jones, closing down the visitors at every opportunity.
Five minutes from the end, Durrant – who was now playing up front – supplied a pinpoint pass to Thompson and he outpaced the Brentwood defence before calmly slotting past the keeper to complete the scoring.
Wroxham, in 17th, are away to sixth-placed Witham Town tomorrow.
• Wroxham: Jessup, Self, Carus, Halliday, A Eastaugh, Jones, Durrant, Daniels (Harrop 32), B Thompson, Blake (Harty 75), Speller (Lewis 18). Subs not used: Forshaw, Starkings
Goals: Eastaugh 40, Thompson 85
• Brentwood: Wray, Doyle, Llewellyn, Henty, Stokes, West, A Thompson, Robson, Wau, Butterworth, Cohen. Subs: Frost, Cross, Seymour, Cousins, Bantich
• Att: 85