Wroxham close gap on leaders

WROXHAM 2, WIVENHOE TOWN 1: Wroxham took advantage of Dereham’s absence from Ridgeons Premier Division fixtures on Saturday to cut the gap to five points.

The Yachtsmen were in impressive form against visitors Wivenhoe, winning 2-1, delighting manager David Batch ahead of their tough Norfolk Senior Cup tie against King’s Lynn on Tuesday.

“It was a 2-1 thrashing,” he said. “We totally dominated and could have been six or seven-nil up at half-time – new signing Danny Bloomfield scored four goals but had three dubiously disallowed, we hit the post and the keeper made some good saves. It was like a whirlwind. We moved the ball about as good as I have seen it, great interlinking and great football.

“Probably our last two games we have played some of the best football this season. Competition is hot, everyone wants to play, and wants to win. It’s an exciting time.”

Wroxham made an impressive start against Wivenhoe an early corner in the first minute put in by Jack Marsden and with a glancing header at the near post, Damian Hilton scored to put Wroxham one ahead.

The very next attack a good ball in found Danny Bloomfield and he controlled the ball well before laying off to Damian Hilton whose cross along the six yard box was met by Ross Durrant who seemed certain to score but his side foot was well saved by Wivenhoe’s keeper Matthew Walker.

In the 13th minute, Wroxham’s third chance came with Shaun Howes neat play with Bloomfiled and his pass was met by the advancing Matt Daniels whose first time shot was also well saved by the keeper.

Most Read

The Yachtsmen were forced into an early change when Daniels pulled up with an injury and had to be replaced by Gary Gilmore on 23 mins.

The home side thought they had doubled the lead when Gilmore picked the ball up in mid-field and his deft chip found Bloomfield who rounded the keeper but was ruled offside.

Wivenhoe came more into the game and on 35 mins a good one two from Andy Gibbons found Terry Amass whose shot flashed past Nathan Pauling’s post.

Damian Hilton had two good chances before half-time to increase the lead but his shots from close range both flew wide.

Both teams had plenty of the ball after the break with Wivenhoe playing some neat football with quick passing by Reece Keeting and Joe Hawkins but they did not really threaten Wroxham’s defensive partnership of Graham Challen and Josh Carus.

Wroxham then forced two quick corners in succession, the first put in by Jack Marsden which was well dealt with by the visitor’s defence followed by Danny Self’s deep ball which found Carus at the back post and his header crashed against the upright.

The home side then scored the second goal their play deserved with Gilmore getting in a good through ball for young Ben Jones who was finding more space down the right side and from the edge of the area a thunderous shot came off the bar and fell for Bloomfield to follow up with a simple header and his first goal for the club.

Wivenhoe then put on fresh legs with Jamie Leesmith being replaced by Ben Lampon and Aaron Peck also joining the play.

This was rewarded as Wivenhoe pulled a goal back following some neat play down the left and with Joe Hawkins through on goal he drew Pauling to slot the ball in the far corner to make the score 2-1.

David Batch’s second change brought Ben Thompson into the fray for the final 20 minutes of his rehabilitation as he replaced Hilton. Wroxham again forced a corner which was met by Carue and went just wide.

Colin Wines replaced Gilmore for the final 10 minutes to stretch Wivenhoe who never gave up but Thompson ran their defence ragged in the last few minutes as Wroxham ran out winners 2-1 which could easily have been five or six from earlier missed chances.