Wroxham fail to make most of Jefford double

Jonathan Redhead Wroxham missed out on a chance to close in on championship favourites Needham Market on Saturday.

Jonathan Redhead

Wroxham missed out on a chance to close in on championship favourites Needham Market on Saturday.

The Yachtsmen were held to a goalless draw at Trafford Park by seventh-placed Leiston, who are becoming a bit of a bogey team for Damian Hilton's men.

But Needham also dropped two points of their own as they were held to a 1-1 draw at home by high-flying Kirkley & Pakefield, with the visitor's centre back Joe Jefford scoring at both ends.

You may also want to watch:

Defending champions Wroxham had plenty of chances to beat a side that had taken eight points from them in the sides' last three meetings.

Opportunities came and went for the Yachtsmen and they almost managed to snatch the points when Gavin Lemmon's late volley skimmed the visitors' bar.

Most Read

Meanwhile, K&P's Joe Jefford was enduring a day of joy and pain at Needham.

The young defender opened the scoring for Nick Shorten's men in the first half when he got on the end of Jamie Stockeld's free-kick to poke K&P ahead in the 27th minute.

But after eight minutes of the second half, Jefford attempted to head the ball back to his keeper, Nathan Pauling, but only succeeded in steering into his own net.

The sides meet again tomorrow night in the semi-final of the Suffolk Premier Cup in a game to be played at Leiston.

Elsewhere, leaders Soham Town Rangers were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Ipswich Wanderers.

It all means that Soham are six points clear of Needham having played three games more.

Wroxham are four points further back, having played one game more than Needham.

FA Vase semi-finalists Lowestoft Town suffered a 5-2 defeat at home to Stanway Rovers, despite goals from Ross King and Jamie Stockeld while Dereham were also hammered, 4-0 at struggling Harwich & Parkeston.

Norwich United lost 2-0 at home to Woodbridge Town thanks to goals after the interval from Ben Seaman and Paul Hart.

Wisbech Town slipped up 4-2 at CRC.

The Fenmen's goals came from Lee Day and Stuart Ablett.

King's Lynn did make it a better day for Norfolk sides with a 3-2 victory at bottom club Newmarket Town.

Swaffham Town picked up a point with a 2-2 draw at Walsham-le-Willows.

In Division One, Thetford Town endured a nervous finish to win 3-2 at bottom club Fakenham Town.

Thetford won 3-0 thanks to goals from Cole, Skipp and Wood, but the Ghosts fought back with two goals but were unable to force and equaliser.

Gorleston kept their outside hopes of promotion alive with a 2-1 win at Whitton United.

The Greens' goalscorers were Nathan Thompson and Gary Ingram.

Paul Tong's Diss Town kept up their charge for the Premier Division with a

4-1 win at struggling March Town, while Downham Town slipped to a 2-0 defeat at Halstead.

At the top of the table, Ely City closed the gap on leaders Tiptree United to nine points with a 2-1 victory over the Jammakers.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus