Wym & Att Mercury area notes

HETHERSETT GIRLS U17 visited St Benet's Wasps and won 9-1. Hannah Waters scored five and other goals came from Megan Todd (2), Sarah Browne and Lucy Middleton.

HETHERSETT GIRLS U17 visited St Benet's Wasps and won 9-1. Hannah Waters scored five and other goals came from Megan Todd (2), Sarah Browne and Lucy Middleton.

HETHERSETT U10 battled hard and were unlucky to lose 2-0 to Poringland. Again they had their chances but just could not find the net. Poringland scored twice in a very evenly matched game. Hethersett deserve so much more from all the hard work they have put in this season. Hethersett U10 lost to Spixworth 2-0. Hethersett played really well as a team and were very unlucky when Spixworth scored a scrappy goal after the defence failed to clear the ball. Half-time score was 1-0 to Spixworth. Hethersett continued to battle second half and Charlie Bion had a great header hit the bar and bounce on the line before being cleared. Spixworth scored to make it 2-0.

HETHERSETT U16 dominated the first half of their game against Nelson and scored twice from corners. Nelson came back strongly after the break but the Hethersett defence held firm and the team went on to win 3-0 (Dominic Frost, Adam Edwards and Jake Keeley).

HETHERSETT GIRLS U14 are now odds on to end runners-up to Norwich in the Norfolk Girls' League after beating Blofield 3-2. Hethersett always have a problem breaking a solid Blofield side down and found themselves 2-1 down at the interval. A powerful second-half performance saw them take the points thanks to goals from Sophie Rock, Ella Stephenson and Beth Evans.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U13 were involved in a very even game against Costessey. Hethersett carved out the better chances with Tom Read and Tom Wyatt going close. The home side took the lead when a superb Josh Denny free kick chipped over the Costessey defence and was converted by the alert Robert Warminger. Hethersett were put under second half pressure but again kept their shape with Lemmon, Cowan , Denny and Bishop solid in the home back four and there was another dominant display from keeper Matty Butcher. Midfield players Mehtab, Walker, Frazer, Easter, Silvester and player of the month Tom Read also deserve credit for their work.

HETHERSETT U12 beat Norman 4-1 with Ashley Gray scoring a hat-trick and the other coming from Lewis Baxter to take his career total for the club to 98.

Most Read

HETHERSETT U11 went down 4-2 at home to Wymondham (goals from Harry Denny and Tyler White).

HETHERSETT U9 travelled to Blofield to play Mulbarton in their first game of 2010. The midfield of Luke, Aiden and Max were making their tackles quickly and pressing the opposition early. This led to an early goal for Hethersett as Max made a tackle in the middle, and played the ball through to Cameron who struck the ball first time and it went in bottom corner. Hethersett had the confidence to start playing some good football from the back to the front. Kieran and Ben K were organising well at the back and as Ben K won the ball he played it down the line for Aiden who beat a player and drove it in the top corner 2-0. Mulbarton then started to come into the game and Ryan was making some great saves. Mulbarton scored from a corner for 2-1. The second half saw Ben L come on and he showed some great strength and touches. Mulbarton were pressing for an equaliser but all the players were defending well and Ryan again made some fantastic saves. Aiden got the ball and ran towards to goal and got fouled just outside the area. Max took the free-kick and it went in to the top corner to make it 3-1. The game was then end to end for the final few minutes but Hethsett held on for a great win 3-1.

HETHERSETT U9 beat Mulbarton 3-1 thanks to goals from Aiden Standley, Max Beckett and Cameron Whiting.

MORLEY YOUTH U10 played at Thetford Indies in a league fixture. The match got under way with very evenly matched teams. Substitute goalkeeper Jordan Cracknel held Indies at bay on several occasions. Morley's defence then came into their own with some fantastic footwork from Luke Custance, who was running rings around the opposition. This gave Morley a well-needed boost and Robbie Boulter swept across the pitch to score his first goal. Within a short space of time Morley's hard work paid off with a selection of well co-ordinated passes from all of the team to enable Robbie to score a further two goals. Indies fought back with determination and eventually managed to convert an awkward pass. The second half got off to a very determined start for both sides. Despite both teams working flat out none of the hard work was converted, Liam Cossey just missed out on a goal by a goalpost deflection. Charles Chenery had several attempts at goal but it just was not his day. Final score 3-1 to Morley. MoM: Robbie Boulter.

MORLEY YOUTH FC are actively recruiting for both U8s (School Year 3) & U9s (Year 4), for further details contact Tim on 01953 453124.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UTD U12 entertained Costessey in a game played with great passion and commitment, but wayward finishing in front of goal and failure to clear their lines cost the game. James Huxtable in goal was looking assured as was the back four of Daniel Mutten, Matt Cook, Tom Wagg and Tom Felice. Wymondham started to apply pressure but a quick break saw Costessey take the lead from a well-taken shot across James which he was unable to get down to. The midfield of Jamie Harris, Oliver Tribe, Lewis Skinner and Luke Laddiman continued to force pressure onto the goal and strikers Nathan Ward and Chris Parker had numerous chances to equalise but failed to find the target. Again Costessey broke away and scored another before half-time and the score could have been more had Costessey converted a penalty awarded for a foul on the striker by keeper Huxtable. The second half continued much as the first with Wymondham having the better of the chances and still not being able to convert them to goals. The introduction of Bradley Russell, Jordan Nicholson and Billy Goldsmith spurred Wymondham on but a further two goals were conceded before Nathan Ward's persistence finally reduced the score with a well-taken goal.

The boys should take heart from this performance and continue with such passion and commitment and from this results will come! PoM: Jamie Harris, a battling display in midfield.

WYMONDHAM U11 played their first competitive match in 2010 away at Hethersett on Sunday; the severe winter weather taking its toll on the fixtures. In the opening minutes Wymondham were on the defensive, taking a little while to find their feet with Hethersett winning a number of early corners. Throughout the first half Wymondham put together some very effective passing play to work the ball forward usually finishing with a shot. Matt Rennie and Marcus Black had a couple of very good shots at goal and John Moore was unlucky not to score getting his head onto a Matt Rennie corner. Henry Felton and Matthew Thurston were working hard to keep the ball in the Hethersett half. Half-time 0-0. Wymondham seemed to start the second half in a higher gear, finally breaking through as James Kerry took advantage of a Joe Greenslade corner to score Wymondham's first. James Kerry scored Wymondham's second a few minutes later, running onto a long ball forward to put Wymondham two goals in front. Hethersett were finding the Wymondham back row John Moore, Rob Smith and Alex Raggett difficult to beat but they did take advantage of their opportunities and scored their first 20 minutes into the second half and their second from a penalty two minutes later to equalise. In the final minutes of the game Wymondham maintained their composure increasing the pressure on Hethersett. Ben Carding ran through the Hethersett defence from the halfway line beating the goalie to score Wymondham's third. In the final minutes of the game Craig Attewell was in exactly the right place to knock in Wymondham's fourth goal getting onto a Matthew Rennie cross. This was a very competent performance from all of the Wymondham players considering the length of time without a game. The winter training has paid off. Final score Hethersett 2, Wymondham 4.

WYMONDHAM TOWN U9: After the previous week's semi-final success, it was certainly down to earth with a bump this weekend as they lost for the first time this season against Lakenheath. Town started brightly - what they had not bargained for was an inspired display from the Lakenheath keeper. In the first 15 minutes he made two wonderful saves from Henry Metcalf. Fergus Hughes also made two great saves from one-on-ones. Charlie Gavin was trying to drive forward from the back. Town eventually broke the deadlock when Luke Hunt scored after a lovely solo run, which ended with him placing a neat shot past the rooted keeper. A free-kick struck from just inside the Town half flew past Fergus Hughes and levelled at 1-1. Town fortunately then went 2-1 ahead when Henry drove a ball into the box looking for Curtis Bell, who although he missed the ball, did enough to put off the visiting keeper and the ball went past him and into the net. Rebecca Greenslade was introduced to try and help tighten things up at the back, but just when Town seemed to be getting a firm grip on the game, a looping effort from a Lakenheath player drifted into the far corner for 2-2. The second half continued with Town dominating, but unable to put the ball past the super visiting keeper. Sonny Clarke on more than one occasion, Jacob Bush, Henry, Luke and Curtis all tried their hardest, but everything was saved, hit the woodwork or just went past a post. Jamie Blanchflower was introduced to try and help match up to Lakenheath's physical efforts, and then from nowhere came a breakaway goal, and Town found themselves behind, and although they went in search of the elusive equaliser, it was not going to be their day. With almost everyone pressing for the goal, Lakenheath broke and scored again to win 2-4. Wymondham MoM: Luke Hunt; opposition MoM: Henry Metcalf.

ATTLEBOROUGH U14 suffered a 6-3 defeat at home this weekend from top of the league Lakeford Rangers. Scorers for hard-working Attleborough were Gene Furneaux and Curtis Bolton (2). The MoM trophy was well deserved by Lewis Rudrum who delivered consistent service in defence.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U11: This was always going to be a tough tie against a talented Cringleford side but Wymondham opened brightly enough and took the lead when Matt Foster finished off Tom Holland's saved effort after good work to put the ball through from Harry Hawkins. The away side were soon level however and despite good defending from Harry took the lead before Matt this time provided the through-ball for Tom to score the equaliser. As the half progressed though it was Cringleford who made the better chances and they led 4 2 at the break. In the second half the visitors swept forward and took control, proving too strong for the Wymondham defence with good pace and excellent finishing, the home team rallied late on with some good pressure but couldn't stem the tide of a heavy defeat. Full time 2-10.