Wymondham area notes

HETHERSETT U15 were well beaten 7-3 at Norman. The opening half-hour proved disastrous for Hethersett, as Norman romped into a 5-0 lead. Changes in formation brought some stability and Hethersett created a number of good chances.

HETHERSETT U15 were well beaten 7-3 at Norman. The opening half-hour proved disastrous for Hethersett, as Norman romped into a 5-0 lead. Changes in formation brought some stability and Hethersett created a number of good chances. An excellent header from a corner and a converted penalty, both from Josh Wilcox, brought the half-time score some respectability. Hethersett again fell apart in the second half, before coming back with a third goal, this time from Stuart Dix.

HETHERSETT U16 were at home to Morley and twice took the lead, only to see the visitors fight back to equalise. Hethersett scored twice in the last 10 minutes to take the points in a hard-earned and deserved victory. Jake Keeley scored twice and the other goals came from Henry Wainwright and Darren Ford.

HETHERSETT U11 played their first game for almost two months and, not surprisingly, looked a little rusty. They were two down against Drayton in the first five minutes, with both goals coming from corners that the Hethersett defence failed to deal with. Hethersett settled down, but conceded a third near the break. Drayton scored three more in the second half to run out 6-0 winners. Despite the defeat there were some good individual performances, with Bradley Tillett deservedly receiving the MoM award. Hethersett's first-choice keeper Fin Smith was out through sickness and was missed.

HETHERSETT U13 visited Norwich United and got a 2-1 win. The first half was devoid of good football as both sides struggled after the long enforced lay-off. Norwich took a half-time lead following a defensive mistake from Hethersett. Jacob Frazer replaced the injured Harry Silvester and Hethersett began to get more into the match. This led to a goalmouth scramble, with Tom Wyatt stabbing the ball home. Hethersett continued to attack and were foiled on a number of occasions by the Norwich goalkeeper before Robert Warminger drilled home what turned out to be the winning goal. Norwich attacked strongly, but Hethersett held firm, with James Lemmon, Josh Denny, Andy Cowen, Will Parker, Jack Walker, Tom Reed and Ethan Poole all deserving praise.

HETHERSETT U14 beat Norwich United 5-1. The first half was close and played in sticky conditions, but after the break Hethersett upped their game and ran out comfortable winners. Will Foster hit a hat-trick and other goals came from Theo Griffiths and Oliver Kearney.

HETHERSETT GIRLS U14 visited Spixworth and put in another sparkling performance to win 9-1. Both sides created chances early on but Hethersett gradually got control of midfield and Ella Stephenson fired home following a corner. Adelaide Mott made it two and then Sophie Rock ran from the halfway line to add a third before adding another to make it 4-0 at half-time. Spixworth pulled a goal back in the second half but Hethersett were soon rampant again, with Sophie scoring two more to take her tally to four. Other Hethersett goals came from Ella Stephenson, Adelaide Mott and Lisa Miners.

Most Read

HETHERSETT U12 were at home to Hellesdon and two goals each from Ashley Gray and Lewis Baxter gave them a 4-2 win.

HETHERSETT U9 beat Blofield 2-0 (Ben Lacey and Max Beckett) and then went down 3-0 to Sprowston.

HETHERSETT U9 got their league campaign back on track after a six-week break. The first game was against league leaders Sprowston. Hethersett started off quite brightly with Dan and Aiden using their pace down the flanks, Ben L had an early chance but the keeper saved well. Sprowston then came back in the game and started to play some nice football but Kieran and Ben were defending well at the back. With no other clear chances the first half finished 0-0. With the second half five minutes old Sprowston got a dubious throw-in. From this the ball evaded all the Hethersett players and found their striker who slotted it in. Sprowston then took control, they scored twice more in a matter of minutes and Ryan made some good saves to keep the score down to 3-0 at full-time.

HETHERSETT U9 then played Blofield and again they started off brightly and made the early running. Hethersett had a corner and the ball went to Thomas just outside the area, he shot and the ball struck the foot of the post as the ball stuck on the line Ben L ran in to score from a few yards. Hethersett then had a few more chances again with Luke and Aiden using their pace well but couldn't find the target. The second half Blofield had the majority of the play and forced what seemed like 10 corners on the bounce but Hethersett defended these well with good goalkeeping again from Ryan. With time running out Ben K took a good early throw to Max who beat a player and scored in the bottom corner. Confidence was growing and Hethersett started to play some really nice football. A good move saw Max, Luke and Aiden linking up well but the ball just went well. Another saw Dan shooting from just outside the area but again the ball just went wide. Final score 2-0.

MULBARTON U16B made a bright start with Adam W and Ben G threatening the Watton goal. Good pressure eventually resulted in a goal when a nicely weighted pass from Dan C was netted by Ben G. The Wanderers were passing the ball well but Watton managed an equaliser. Immediately from the kick-off Mulbarton took the lead again courtesy of an Adam W strike. In the second half Mulbarton started to gain control of the game, Jimmy D battling hard in midfield, Tooky hitting a post. Two penalties were awarded in Mulbarton's favour, both resulting in goals taken by Alex R and Ben G. The 4-1 score held until full time, although many chances went close, a solid team display sealed the victory. MoM: Jim D.

WYMONDHAM Town United U12 returned to action following an enforced weather break and came up against a strong Rocklands side who dominated the match throughout. Rocklands players passed the ball really well on a sticky pitch and finished their chances with aplomb. The Wymondham players continued to give every effort possible but they were unable to trouble the Rocklands keeper. There were a number of good battling performances throughout the side but keeper James was PoD for a number of excellent saves.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U9 travelled to Poringland for two away fixtures against the hosts and Rocklands. Facing Rocklands in the first match United played some of their best football all season. In the first five minutes, Christy up front had a shot cleared off the line, skipper Lewis had two efforts turned away for corners and Becca neatly sidestepped a defender before having her crisp shot also pushed away for another corner. It was all Wymondham with some outstanding interplay involving the midfield trio of Becca, Lewis and William F combining with Christy up front. But with nothing to show for United, Rocklands broke away for their first attack which looked dangerous until a smart intervention by Jack B. Then from well inside his own half Christy went on a mazy run, beating five or six players before forcing a corner. From another corner immediately afterwards, Christy and William F played a neat one-two and William F blasted home for a deserved lead. Rocklands then forced two quick corners which were dealt with comfortably by Lucas and Jack B in defence. Wymondham then forced three successive corners of their own before ending the half still only 1-0 up. The second half began with United being awarded a handling penalty but Lewis' shot was brilliantly saved by the keeper. Further good efforts from Lewis and Christy were also thwarted before Rocklands on a rare counter attack were foiled by our keeper Daniel with a fine save with his foot. Christy then had a left- foot effort cleared before the killer second goal finally arrived with five minutes to go. Becca and Lewis with a smart interchange set up the skipper who, with superb balance, rifled it into the corner of the net. As the match closed Lewis nearly made it three, just shooting wide from a free kick. A fantastic team display. Final score 2-0. MoM: Lewis Thurston, great all-round performance.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U9 played Poringland in the next match. They found themselves 2-0 down after barely three minutes following two great finishes by Daniel and as a result never really got going until late in the game. A terrific long-range shot from William C nearly made it three before Lewis tore through their defence and set up Christy whose shot just went wide. Another William C effort tested the keeper as United poured on the pressure. Just before the half William F fed Lewis whose shot was turned away for a corner. After a scrappy start the second half came alive when Daniel found himself in space on the edge of the box and coolly drove another effort home to complete his hat-trick. Lewis then fed William F down the right but his effort was cleared. Sub Jack C then stabbed the ball home for the fourth and United looked home and dry. With the game looking safe, skipper Lewis was called off and it seemed to lift Poringland. Following a lapse in midfield they pulled one back and with about three minutes left they grabbed their second. Keeper Jack B, Lucas and Becca in defence were having to defend stoutly. The team managed to hold on though for a fine victory. Final score 4-2 to Wymondham. MoM: Daniel Watson.

WYMONDHAM TOWN U13 travelled to Jex, who were well organised, and broke though to take an early lead. Wymondham responded with a nice break but was intercepted by Jex. Solid work from Sam Palmer kept Jex pressure at bay, play settled but Wymondham conceded from a free kick. More pressure was soaked up by the back four of Fraser Fields, Owen Lancaster, Joe Goreham and Adam Harmer. Bradlie Harcourt, Michael Farmer, Ollie Street and Ashley Ward in midfield worked tirelessly trying to slow down Jex. Ashley went off injured and with a reshuffle Ed Morley joined the defence. Charlie Love and James Burns picked up any crosses from Sam Clarke to try to level the score. Jacob Richies came on in the second half for the defence. Wymondham found themselves down by 8-0 at the final whistle. Despite this defeat the lads all came off the pitch with their heads held high.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U9 beat Dereham Yellows 5-0. It could be seen that Wymondham had not played in recent weeks as they did not play their usual free-flowing football and were struggling to get a real grip on the game and the heavy pitch did not help. They eventually scored after 10 minutes, when Henry Metcalf rose highest to meet a Sonny Clarke corner to plant a firm header past the rooted keeper. A great reflex save from Fergus Hughes prevented an own goal from Charlie Gavin, and, as always, Fergus's handling was immaculate, proving what a fine keeper he is. The second goal was not far behind and after a nice passage of play, when a fine pass from Sonny opened up the Dereham defence, Luke Hunt drove forward to receive the pass and place the ball past the stranded keeper with great composure. Henry came close to adding to the score just before half-time when a drive struck a post, and although Town were dominating the game, they did not add to the scoreline and went in 2-0 up at half-time. In the second half Josh Bush and Rebecca Greenslade came on and both worked hard for the team. A third goal was soon to follow after a great run from Sonny, who ran nearly the length of the pitch to cross for Henry to tap in. The woodwork was struck twice more. Charlie Gavin was starting to dominate at the back with some great tackles. Sonny added his name to the scoresheet, finishing well after Henry had returned the compliment with a neat pass. In the last 15 minutes Jacob Bush completed the scoring with a lovely strike into the far corner from distance, making it a 5-0 victory. A hard-earned victory in difficult conditions, so a competent start to 2010. MoM: Fergus Hughes. Opposition's MoM: Henry Metcalf.

ATTLEBOROUGH U14 travelled to the coast for their first game in over five weeks. Their hosts, Cromer, got off to a good start when the referee gave a dubious penalty that keeper Ben Moore reached but failed to stop. Boro's Curtis Bolton managed to rectify the score line to 1-1 before half-time. In the second half Cromer managed to extend their lead to 3-1 and Boro looked rattled, but thanks to a superb goal from far out by Matty Spencer Boro were back in the game and started to play some great football. Gene Furneaux levelled the score when he swooped in at took advantage of some sloppy Cromer goalkeeping. The final score was 3-3. MoM: Matty Spencer. Boro have no game this coming weekend but face Dereham at home on Feb 7.

WYMONDHAM U11 visited Thetford and lost 6-4. There were plenty of goals in an entertaining game which could have gone either way in the end with both teams playing attacking football and creating chances throughout. It was visitors Wymondham Town that took the lead as early as the first minute with Tom Holland stealing in to beat the offside trap with an angled shot past the keeper, Thetford came close to levelling soon after with Alex Rennie in goal for Town saving well from the onrushing striker, before long however the equaliser came with the Wymondham defence caught napping with a through-ball and finish that caught them cold. Thetford then took the lead with a well-taken goal but good pressure from Town in response forced an own goal to bring them level. Alex again saved well to deny the home team but could not prevent them taking a 3-2 lead soon after before the break. In the second half Thetford began the stronger and scored twice to take a 5-2 lead and looked set to dominate. Wymondham, however, showed good fighting spirit and hit back to close the gap to 5-3 with Tom taking on the defence on his own and showing superb persistence as he followed up his own saved shot to score his second of the game. The away side made it 6-3 but still could not prevent Niall Ruffle's driven shot again closing the deficit to 6-4 before the final whistle sounded.