Wymondham/Hethersett area notes

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U13 beat Mulbarton 3-2 in a match full of good spirit and good football. Two defensive errors either side of half time gave Mulbarton a 2-0 lead before Max Bishop reduced the arrears with a low shot.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U13 beat Mulbarton 3-2 in a match full of good spirit and good football. Two defensive errors either side of half time gave Mulbarton a 2-0 lead before Max Bishop reduced the arrears with a low shot. Robert Warminger equalised with a cross/shot goal followed by a superb save by Matthew Butcher in the Hethersett goal. In the closing moments Robert Warminger secured Sett's win.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U15 had a number of players either unavailable or sick and were able to field only 10 against Spixworth. The team competed well in the first half but some poor goalkeeping did not help the cause and they were three down midway through the first half. The team were unable to keep a full Spixworth team at bay as their opponents ran out deserving 9-0 winners.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U11 were involved in an exciting 4-4 draw with Dereham. The match started brightly and both teams quickly settled down in an even game. Dereham took the lead but Hethersett responded well with the equaliser. Both teams played good football and Hethersett played a fine ball through to Tyler White who shrugged off two defenders, kept his composure to score a fine goal to put Hethersett in the lead. Dereham found the equaliser just before half time. Both teams started well in the second half. Hethersett were a well organised team. Dereham took the lead but shortly after Tyler White was brought down in the box and a penalty was awarded. Harry Jones spot kick was a good one but the keeper did well to save it but Hethersett grabbed the equaliser from the immediate corner. Dereham were fortunate to grab a fourth but Hethersett did not give up and continued to press and were rewarded with another corner which they managed to score from. Tyler White was outstanding.

HETHERSETT U16 visited Nelson and came away with a good 4-1 win. Hethersett played good passing football especially in the second half. Their scorers were Dominic Frost, Adam Edwards, Darren Ford and an own goal.

HETHERSETT U14 GIRLS entertained Norwich in a difficult start to their first season at nine-a-side level. Things got off to a disastrous start, with Norwich scoring two lucky early goals. Each time a long ball forward reached the box, keeper Louise got to the ball first, making clean contact with her kick, and each time the ball struck the on-rushing Norwich striker and bounced into the goal. A third arrived shortly after, when a corner wasn't properly cleared and a shot from the edge of the area found the net. Norwich continued to pressure throughout the half, and created two more goals to lead 5-0 at half-time. The second half started in a similar fashion to the first, with lots of Norwich pressure, but thankfully some wayward finishing and exceptional defending kept the score to five. Hethersett then started to play themselves back in, spending more and more time in the Norwich half. Hethersett's Beth Evans fired home from the edge of the penalty area following a corner. This spurred Hethersett on, with a number of attacks threatening the goal. Sophie Rock had an unlucky day in front of goal, seeing a number of shots saved, and one cannon back off the bar. Ella Stephenson also hit a post, before Norwich went up the other end and grabbed their first of the second half. This didn't deter Hethersett, who quickly scored their second, Ella going on a solo run and beating the keeper at her near post. Full time score was 6-2 to Norwich. However the girls can take great heart from beating Norwich 2-1 over the second half and this is what they must build on for a successful season.

HETHERSETT U12 beat Poringland 3-2 with goals from Conrad Doggett, Guy Peres and Sam Rix.

Most Read

HETHERSETT U10 fired blanks in their away matches against Hellesdon and Diss, going down 4-0 in both.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U10 kicked off their new season with a game against Scole Lads U10. The match started evenly with both sides attacking and defending with enthusiasm. Some good approach play from Scole was rewarded with a fortunate individual goal and Wymondham were left chasing a 1-0 lead into half-time. The second half saw new signing Anthony Animba making his presence felt in the centre forward position using his speed and strength to push through the defence. Wymondham had one or two chances but could not convert, while at the other end Scole put some pressure on Wymondham's defence. Attacking midfield dynamo Jo Andrews and Sam Goldsmith worked hard to prevent the Scole attack from increasing their lead. A new-found physical commitment to the game by all Wymondham players suggests a team to be reckoned with this season. MoM: Joe Andrews. Final score Scole 1, Wymondham 0.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U10 took on Taverham Tigers in a closely- fought game. The first half saw strong running by new signing Anthony, showing promise for Wymondham in the season ahead. United won most of the 50-50s and put pressure on the defence, shooting just wide early on. Taverham took the game back to Wymondham and were rewarded with a tap-in from a low cross. After the goal the Tigers put a lot of pressure on Wymondham, creating an extra man on a number of occasions. Fine goalkeeping by Anthony Walshe kept the score at 1-0 going into half-time with one outstanding low dive to his left. After the break it was the turn of Wymondham to put the pressure on Taverham, with some attacking play. United created some half-chances but were unable to find the net. A fine left- foot shot from Taverham made it 2-0 and it would have been a lot more but for Walshe's outstanding performance in goal. Wymondham were again strong in a physical, competitive match. MoM: Anthony Walshe. Final score: Taverham 2, Wymondham 0.

HETHERSETT U12 set off to Poringland for their first away match of the season and won 3-2. Poringland took the lead with a shot over the keeper's head and the score remained the same until the 28th minute, but then a free-kick taken by Ashley was knocked in by Conrad Doggett, swiftly followed by a cross/shot from new boy Connor Stearman, tapped home by Sam Rix. In the second half Hethersett lost their advantage when a goalmouth mix-up allowed Poringland to pull one back. With just a few minutes to go before the final whistle, a rally of passes between the midfield and strikers took Hethersett ahead to beat Poringland 3-2. Special mention for Ben Leach for a fine performance in the Hethersett goal.

WYMONDHAM TOWN LIZARDS U9 entertained Garboldisham for their first home game of the season. Town started on top and Henry Metcalf struck a sweet ball into the top corner to put Lizards 1-0 up, followed by a lovely goal by the impressive Sonny Clarke, followed by another great strike from Henry on the turn. Charlie Gavin was controlling everything at the back in another accomplished display. The second half started with Town 3-0 up, but Sonny soon added Lizards' fourth and his second. His third was soon to follow after delightful skills from Josh Bush, which enabled him to strike at goal and Sonny to sweep home the rebound. With 15 minutes to go, Lizards led 5-0, but a purple patch, which included five more goals from Henry, taking his tally to seven, and lovely strikes from Luke Hunt and Jacob Bush, made the final score 12-0. Elliott Hindley, making his debut in goal, kept a clean sheet, which included a fine save near the end, and Jamie Blanchflower was reliable at the back, as always. MoM: Henry Metcalf. Opposition's MoM: Sonny Clarke.

MORLEY YOUTH U8 competed in the Wymondham tournament and did very well in their age group and took great joy in being presented with their trophies by Geoff Hurst. The following day Morley played at home against Dereham Wanderers. Morley started off on the offensive by Andrew Lancaster. Morley continued to pile on the pressure forcing the Dereham keeper to make a couple of fantastic saves. Dereham caught Morley out, Morley came straight back on the attack with more great work by Andrew Lancaster and some great attacking play from Alexander Oyeniyi to set up Andrew. Despite Morley's attacking flair Dereham managed to pull back and advance. Some excellent defending from Finley Williams and Finley Goodrum kept Dereham at bay. Morely kept on the attack for the rest of the game with some fantastic forward play from Jude Spinks. At the other end Tom Watts pulled off several superb saves. A great display from Morley. MoM: Finley Goodrum.

MORLEY YOUTH U10 played host last week to Mundford in their first league match of the season. Immediately Morley were on the attack placing pressure on Mundford's defences. Munford were soon to fight back and play was everywhere. The first goal came from Robbie Boulter who shot from distance and managed to get the ball top right of goal. Max Tofts bagged a deflection off his knee straight into the net for the second goal of the match. The second half got under way with both teams battling to advance, Jordan Cracknell took advantage of a goalmouth scramble and converted it to another goal. Play once again went to the other end of the pitch but Mundford were just not able to convert any of their hard work. Robbie Boulter managed to break away from the pack and bagged the final goal. Morley 4, Mundford 0. MoM: Ewan Downes for fantastic saves.

MULBARTON WANDERERS U16B lost to Rocklands 7-0. A strong wind in Mulbarton's favour dictated the early play, as both teams battled well to try to gain the upper hand. Eventually Rocklands took the lead and only a good stop from keeper Stuart from a one-on-one situation kept the visitors from adding to their tally. However, just before half-time Rocklands scored again, although Wanderers had enjoyed the lion's share of possession. The second half turned into a goal feast for Rocklands, as they went on to score five more. Mulbarton heads dropped and they never really got going. A late Rocklands' penalty was saved by the keeper, which was a small positive in a game that will be best forgotten quickly by the home side. Mulbarton MoM: Jimmy D for a good all-round display.

WYMONDHAM U11 played their first away fixture of the season against Old Catton. Wymondham made a strong start with the ball in the Catton half for the first five minutes of the game. Wymondham's Marcus Black and Joe Greenslade made a number of runs at the Catton goal, putting them under early pressure. Wymondham keeper Jacob Mitchell prevented Catton taking the lead when he saved an on-target shot at goal from a free-kick before Ben Carding put Wymondham in front. During the second half, Wymondham were playing uphill against the wind and the full-size pitch was starting to test the stamina of both teams, but the Wymondham defence of Casey Barrett, John Moore, Lewis Chalcraft and Rob Smith deflected all Catton attacks and Wymondham hung on to win 1-0.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U12 entertained Harling, and playing against a strong wind conceded from a poorly defended corner after only one minute. Harling utilised the wind to dominate territory and possession and Wymondham were fortunate not to fall further behind, due to some wayward finishing. The Wymondham players continued to work hard and were rewarded when Luke L won possession and passed to Nathan, who delivered an excellent low cross into the six-yard box where Chris steered his shot home from close range. James did especially well with some excellent kicking and saves in the remainder of the half, whilst the defence of Tom F, Matt, Bradley and Tom W, who made a great goal-line clearance, kept the scores level until half time. The second half was evenly contested and whilst Wymondham's passing improved, Jamie, Jordan and Daniel in midfield, and Luke W up front were unable to unlock a solid Harling defence. Harling took the lead midway through the half with a similar goal to Wymondham's, and then sealed victory with a last-minute goal to make the final score 3-1, as Wymondham committed players forward in search of an equaliser. PoM: Matt Cook for timely defensive tackles and good distribution from throw-ins.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U13 played host to Dereham at a windy Ketts Park. Dereham started the brighter, going one up and could have added another but for the post. This seemed to get Wymondham going, and Jack Newbery scored the equaliser. The half finished 1-1.The second half saw Wymondham totally dominate, adding a second goal from Frankie Benton, a third from Ryan Bunting and fourth from Ashley Ward, before Jack Newbery scored Wymondham's fifth and his second. for a 5-1 win.

WYMONDHAM TOWN U15 played Horsford on a blustery day with a hard pitch and both teams struggled early on. First honours went to Horsford, who scored with an unchallenged header from a disputed corner. It took Horsford's second unchallenged goal to wake Wymondham up, and they started to play good, passing football, alongside some solid tackling. Wymondham came close with an excellent header from Toby, eventually getting the just reward for their dominance with a good finish from James P. However, Wymondham were unable to find the equaliser and went down 2-1. MoM: Mark Collins.