Wymondham Mercury area notes

HETHERSETT YOUTH: Hethersett U16 defeated previously unbeaten league leaders Horsford 2-1 thanks to goals from Jamie Springall and Jonathan Bailey. The U15s beat Horsford 4-3 in a game that saw them in the lead just once with what turned out to be the winning goal.

HETHERSETT YOUTH: Hethersett U16 defeated previously unbeaten league leaders Horsford 2-1 thanks to goals from Jamie Springall and Jonathan Bailey. The U15s beat Horsford 4-3 in a game that saw them in the lead just once with what turned out to be the winning goal. Josh Wilcox hit two and other goals were scored by Ben Annis and Stuart Dix. The U14s drew 3-3 at Poringland. It was a game that see-sawed back and forth. Hethersett led 2-1 and then went 3-2 down only to equalise deep into injury time. Will Foster hit two and the other came from James Groom. The U12s were beaten 8-2 by Old Catton. Their goals came from Lewis Baxter and Sam Rix. The U11s found leaders Old Catton far too strong and went down 10-0. Despite the scoreline the team battled well and there were a number of good individual performances. The U9s went down 4-0 to Wymondham and 1-0 to Scole. The Girls U14 side boosted their chances of finishing league runners-up with a 4-0 victory over Aylsham. Scorers were Sophie Rock, Beth Evans, Adelaide Mott and Lisa Miners.

ATTLEBOROUGH TOWN U10 played Scole in the league, having recently beaten them in the cup. The game was fast paced with pressure at both ends, but Scole took the advantage through a Boro own goal. Poor defending led to another Scole goal from a corner just before the break. The second half saw a stronger performance, with Alfie soon slotting home from a Ricky cross to get back in the game. Euan put plenty of pressure on the Scole defence, but it was Ricky who brought the game level near the end. The elation led to a brief lack of concentration which Scole exploited to score seconds before the end. Final score 3-2 to Scole.

ATTLEBOROUGH TOWN U10 DEVELOPMENT squad played a double friendly fixture against visitors Thorpe. Boro began strongly and Callum soon managed to open the scoring. A solid performance saw a further goal from Callum, one from Sheldon and a super hat-trick from Martino. Thorpe managed to claw one back near the end, but the game ended an impressive 6-1 to Attleborough. The second game saw many positional changes to even up the chances, which worked, with the half-time score 0-0. After the break goalkeeper Binty, playing outfield opened the scoring, which was soon followed by a Thorpe equaliser. The game looked set to end this way until Sheldon took the ball from his own box all the way up the pitch and slotted the ball under the keeper into the net. Final score: 2-1 to Attleborough.

HETHERSETT U12 can agree that football is certainly a game of ups and downs, last week a convincing win against Attleborough, this week away to Old Catton was not quite the same. For the first few minutes the teams looked even but then Old Catton got their first goal. By half-time Catton were up to 6-0. Hethersett came out in the second with new found confidence as Sam Rix and Lewis Baxter managed to get one apiece but the home team also got found the net a further two times leaving the final score of 8-2.

HETHERSETT U9 played their first games at home last week and with a new kit (sponsored by David Whitworth), the boys were full of enthusiasm before they started. The first game was against Wymondham who were well organised. Hethersett started off slowly and their shape was not as good as previous weeks. Although full of running Hethersett weren't really in the game and Wymondham scored three well-taken goals. In the second half Hethersett started to get some shape back with Max having a good game in midfield and he was unlucky with a free-kick and a shot just outside the area. Luke and Cameron were supporting Daniel up front well and Hethersett had a couple of chances but it wasn't to be. Ryan made a couple of really good saves, but Wymondham got another and ran out 4-0 winners. The second game against Scole proved to be a much more even game. Ben K and Kieran had found their shape at the back and made some really great tackles. Cameron was pushed up and was hassling their defence. He went on a mazy run and with a great shot it struck the bar twice but just went over. Hethersett started to play better football and were passing a lot better. Against the run of play Scole had broken through and with a shot outside the area it managed to sneak in. In the second half again Hethersett started the better side with Ben L and Aiden linking well up front. It looked like Hethersett might sneak an equaliser but although they huffed and puffed they just didn't have that bit of luck and were unlucky to lose.

MULBARTON U16B took part in a well-contested match with Mattishall U16 with Mulbarton eventually coming out on top. Early on in the game Mulbarton missed a penalty then were punished when Mattishall took the lead. The home side responded with hard work, they were creating chances and had one effort cleared off the line. Tom R and Sam D were both in good form and it was Sam D who equalised for the Wanderers just before half-time. In the second period Adam W upped the pace, serving up a good shot then later putting Mulbarton in the lead, this was quickly replied to when Mattishall pulled one back. Ben B fired in a terrific strike to put Mulbarton back in the lead, but again this was equalled by the visitors who drew level again. With only minutes left, Mulbarton were awarded a free-kick outside the box which Ben B struck cleanly and beat the keeper giving the Wanderers a 4-3 victory in which all the players had given maximum effort . MoM: Ben B.

Most Read

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U12 made a positive start to this match with players making skilful, penetrating runs deep into the Mulbarton half. Continued positive possession and quality crosses found a number of players in front of goal but chances for Chris, Lewis and Nathan went unconverted. Wymondham's pressure, however, finally paid dividends when an excellent build-up on the right flank provided a good delivery into the penalty box and Tom F found himself unmarked on the six-yard box and he duly dispatched his effort with aplomb. The midfield trio of Oliver, Michael and Tom F continued to gain possession with energetic displays and a further passage of passing football eventually allowed Wymondham to extend their lead when Lewis broke through and finished smartly with a cool chip over an advancing keeper. Mulbarton reduced the arrears just before the interval with a well-taken angled shot. In a spirited second half Mulbarton equalised early on and the match swung continuously from penalty area to penalty area and whilst possession was evenly balanced Wymondham continued to create the clearer chances. The defence of Matthew, Daniel, Jamie and Luke L retained good shape and covered for each other well, especially bearing in mind Daniel and Matthew were playing in unfamiliar positions. Billy and Jordan energised the team from their substitute positions and both had chances to steal the victory, however, the match appeared to be heading for a draw until a defensive header from a great near-post cross eluded the keeper and Nathan stole in to head home from close range, giving the WTU boys a 3-2 win. A good game played in excellent spirit and congratulations to both sides for their effort and endeavour. Player-of-the-match: Played really well in an unfamiliar position with sound defending and some clever distribution.

WYMONDHAM LIZARDS U9 travelled to Swaffham trying to maintain their 100 per cent winning start to the season and become the first team to defeat Swaffham. Town recalled Elliott Hindley in goal, but were missing the influential Jacob Bush. Town's early pressure paid dividends when Henry Metcalf's fine through ball enabled Luke Hunt to slot past the advancing keeper. Soon after following quick thinking by Henry and Luke from a corner, Luke struck again for his and Town's second. Town were now comfortable and Swaffham started to resort to heavy tackling but Town withstood this and added the third, again from Luke after good work from Sonny Clarke. Luke also struck a post before he added his fourth with another great strike. The second half was a real battle and the lads did themselves proud as by this time Swaffham's heavy-handed tactics had increased. Curtis Bell and Josh Bush had also been introduced and both played their part in this tough game. Jamie Blanchflower and Charlie Gavin were superb in defence and held a real tight line and limited Swaffham to very few chances. Elliot Hindley did pull off a great full-length save late in the game. Josh Bush added a fine strike from a lovely Henry cross for 5-0. Town hit a post on a further four occasions, but did not add to the scoreline. Swaffham were then awarded a controversial penalty but justice was done as Elliott capped a fine display by saving the kick. MoM: Luke Hunt. Opposition MoM: Sonny Clarke.

WYMONDHAM TOWN U14 lost to Dereham 3-2 in the second round of the FA Minor Cup. The game was a true advert for youth soccer, with both teams fully focused on the cup tie. There was plenty of action both ends, with both keepers making great saves. Dereham got the first break with a cracking goal. Wymondham were getting closer and closer to a goal, but Dereham's defence were very hard to beat. Alex Wilson pulled off a couple of brilliant slide tackles to stop Dereham from increasing their score. Zak Taylor came on as sub and added some sparkle to the game with a fantastic goal. He immediately came close to scoring another, but the shot just went over the bar. In the second half Dereham sneaked another goal, but Wymondham kept their heads up and battled hard. Nick Parker ran with the ball and passed to Harvey White, whose shot just missed, but Ashley Black was there to follow it in to level the score. The game went into extra time and Dereham scored a very early goal. Wymondham played some great football in the final minutes, with everyone pushing upfield for the extra goal, but they could not get through the strengthened wall at the back. MoM: Ashley Black for a superb goal and for battling hard throughout.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U9 continued their Combination League programme with an away game at Hethersett and a rearranged home game with Blofield which was played at Hethersett. United had previously played some tight games with Hethersett so a close match was expected. Wymondham had the edge early but from an attack down the right from Hethersett, Lucas in goal made a fine stop. Wymondham then forced a corner which was not cleared properly and Daniel took advantage with a good finish. Skipper Lewis then had a rasping long-range shot hit the bar but got his reward minutes later when robbing a defender and firing in a low shot. United were really playing well with Jack B and Becca thwarting any attacks by Hethersett in defence, William F and Daniel causing problems down the flanks and Christy and Lewis dominating midfield possession. From a long throw by Lewis, Daniel neatly nodded in and the team found themselves 3-0 up at half-time. However, Hethersett battled back in the second half and from a handling free-kick Lucas somehow managed to claim the ball at the second attempt. Then from a Hethersett corner, Becca timed a great block tackle to clear and Lucas had to save a long-range shot. Wymondham immediately hit back from a Daniel corner, when Christy steered the ball into the corner of the net, off a defender. Hethersett then wasted a good chance before Daniel seized on a long clearance and shot just wide. Sub Jack C nearly made it five when heading into the side netting from another corner. At the other end, following a goalmouth scramble when Hethersett looked sure to score, Christy showed great composure and brought the ball clear. Jack B then thwarted another Hethersett move before United then regained control and late efforts by Jack C and Daniel were just denied. Final score: 4-0. MoM: Christy, assured midfield display.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U9 were full of confidence when facing Blofield in the rearranged fixture but they were surprisingly slow to settle. However, they gradually got on top by forcing a series of corners. Bradley up front then broke clear but was denied by the goalkeeper. William F and Jack C combined well, creating an opening for Bradley whose shot was saved. Lucas then cleared a Blofield attack with a typical strong run out of defence. Wymondham were now pressing hard for the opener and Christy, now in defence, quickly found Lewis whose shot was saved bravely. Christy then broke up a quick, promising Blofield counter attack and within minutes Jack C, Bradley and William F all saw their efforts go close. Just before half-time United took a deserved lead when sharp-eyed Jack B in goal found Lewis with a great clearance and the skipper fended off all challenges before coolly rounding the keeper to make it 1-0. Daniel came on as sub. in the second half, and virtually with his first touch, he fired a low left- foot shot into the corner. Christy then linked with Becca who found Lewis but his effort was saved. Daniel was causing problems with his skill and pace and from a throw-in he neatly finished with another low shot. Lewis and Becca then set up William F whose crisp shot found the side netting. Then a Daniel corner fell to Lewis who made no mistake to make it 4-0 to United. Lewis then had two further efforts denied before Daniel completed his hat-trick late on with another left foot shot. Final score: 5-0. MoM: Daniel, changed the game.