Wymondham Mercury area notes

ATTLEBOROUGH U14s secured their best win of the season when they faced Reepham at home. Boro dominated the game from the starting whistle and within 10 minutes Robert Sweet had opened the scoring.

ATTLEBOROUGH U14s secured their best win of the season when they faced Reepham at home. Boro dominated the game from the starting whistle and within 10 minutes Robert Sweet had opened the scoring. Defender Tom Bart extended the home side's lead just before half-time. The second half saw left winger George Bartholomew receive a great ball from Jack Binks which found the back of the net and shortly after substitute Gene Furneaux powered in the fourth. Captain and man of the match Binks again found himself out of defence and in an attacking position to find goal five. Boro midfielder Jack Crosswaite slotted in the sixth and final goal.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U10s played well in a goalless game against Toftwood. The match was played in a good spirit. Charlie Bion came close with a fine shot that just went wide and Oli Hudson-Church hit a shot from outside the area, which went over the bar.

WYMONDHAM U11s played Rocklands away on Sunday. The Wymondham back four Cassey Barrett, Rob Smith, Alex Raggett and Henry Felton made a very strong back line keeping the early Rockland attacks at bay. Wymondham started to find their feet producing some very effective counter attacks.

The Wymondham pressure continued in the second half resulting in an early goal from Joe Gleenslade as the Rockland goalie slid but missed the ball to allow Joe to tap in. Wymondham's second came from Alex Raggett getting his head onto a corner ball to score. Rocklands won a disputed penalty in the closing minutes but Wymondham held on for a 2-1 win. MoM: Robert Smith.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U12s, playing Heigham Park, surged forward from the start, with Oliver and Jamie prompting proceedings from midfield. Both players released Nathan, but on each occasion the Heigham keeper made terrific saves. Tom W's fierce shot from 15 yards crashed against the crossbar. An excellent through-ball gave Nathan a chance to surge into the box, and as the keeper approached, he slid his effort into an empty net. Lewis extended WTU's lead when his chip shot from 25 yards found the net. James then parried a strike and Matthew expertly cleared off the line to keep Wymondham's advantage. Wymondham's Tom W then sent over a testing cross which the keeper could not reach, and Nathan was on hand to stab home his second, and the team's third, from six yards. Heigham scored a late consolation goal, making the final result 3-1 to Wymondham.

PoM: Oliver Tribe.

Most Read

HETHERSETT U9s entertained Diss and Blofield last weekend. Against Diss, midway through the first half Cam was fouled outside the area and Max scored yet another free kick. Aiden made a great run down the right and crossed for Cam who shot, the defender blocked and it fell to Daniel who after his second stab at it put it in the net. Diss pulled a goal back just before half-time.

The third goal came from a corner in the second half; it went straight through to Aiden who shot first time into the bottom corner of the net. The final score was 3-1.

Against Poringland, Ben L scored a great goal to take his tally to 11 for the season. Luke R forced a corner on the left, Max swung it in and with a deflection it went into the net to make it 2-0 at half-time. With three minutes to go Max robbed Poringland's last man and one-on-one with the keeper he slotted it in the bottom corner to make the final score 3-0.

Wymondham Town Utd U9's were hoping to get back on track with matches against bottom club Jex Rangers, the hosts and Blofield. Against Blofield, United immediately gained the upper hand and Lewis' shot hit the post. From a succession of corners Becca's shot was turned away and then William F's effort pushed onto the crossbar by the keeper. Neat football by Jack B, Becca and Lewis set up William again who shot just wide. The bombardment continued when a move started by Christy to Becca and then Lewis ended with an almighty goalmouth scramble that once again came to nothing. The long awaited goal finally arrived in the second half. William took the ball down the right, cut in and blasted it home. Lewis then saw two of his efforts go close again. Just before the final whistle United nearly added another when Lewis broke down the right, found Christy who fed back to Lucas, but the defender blasted wide. Final score 1-0. MoM: William Felton. Against the host team Jex, United were again frustrated in the first half as Lewis, Jack B, Christy and Becca all going close. United soon picked up where they left off with Bradley shooting just wide. Lewis then beat three or four defenders, and found Christy whose shot was blocked. William and Christy both went close again for Wymondham before skipper Lewis hit the side netting. Final score 0-0. MoM: Lewis Thurston.

WYMONDHAM TOWN U13s entertained Thorpe at Ketts Park. A strong start from the home team was rewarded with a free kick on the edge of the box, which Jack dispatched into the top corner. Ollie's shot came off the post and he was quickest to the rebound to make it 2-0. Fraser found himself in a forward position and his long range shot was too strong for the keeper to save, 3-0. Wymondham had a wake up call on the stroke of half-time when the visitors scored, 3-1. In the second half Wymondham were made to work hard, Sam Palmer making some fine saves. Wymondham scored again through a crisp shot from Jack to maintain the two goal lead after a second goal by Thorpe. Michael scored and Jack Newbery added his third. Final score 6-3. MoM: Jack Newbery.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U11 suffered an 8-1 defeat against an admittedly strong Toftwood side. The home team took an early two-goal lead before converting a penalty for handball for a 3-0 lead at half-time. Tom Holland gave Wymondham immediate hope after the restart with a good run through the defence to beat the keeper, but the home side swiftly re-took total control of the game, launching wave after wave of attacks, while Town failed to show enough invention. The scoreline could have been doubled, but for man of the match, goalkeeper Alex Rennie.

MULBARTON WANDERERS U16B played St Andrews in a thrilling cup tie and pulled off a great comeback to achieve an extra-time win. St Andrews opened the scoring early in the game and added another just before half-time. A well struck free-kick from Alex R pulled one back and Ben B converted a last gasp free-kick to equalise. Extra-time allowed Jim D to fire Wanderers' winner with a stunning free-kick. MoM: Geordie and Stuart.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U7s started their preparation for playing league football in September with their first ever game. Reds and Greens were picked from the squad and the game kicked off. Reds started the brightest and Seth in Greens' goal was called on to make good saves from both Elliot and Callum. Reds' Ollie got the first goal of the game and Reds went 2-0 up with a well taken goal from Callum following fine work from Alex and Marcus in midfield. The Greens came right back and Denis hit the post. Greens kept the pressure on and quickly found the net twice with goals from Ewan and Denis following passes from the lively James K. Joshua and Rohan were working hard to get the lead back for the Reds and they were rewarded when they neatly found Elliot who made it 3-2 to the Reds. Greens were not finished and Ewan ran past a defender and slotted it into the net to make it 3-3. Seth won a tackle deep in the Reds half and passed to Denis who scored the winner for Greens. New players are welcome for Y2 or under. Contact Mark Ahier on 01953 601334 or visit www.wymondhamtown.org.uk

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U11 started the game against Thorpe well and settled down quickly. They were playing some good football and were winning the majority of the balls. Hethersett were rewarded with a free-kick just outside the area and Jack Freeman stepped up to produce a great strike. Thorpe battled well and found an equaliser from a good strike from outside the box. Hethersett went into the break 2-1 up thanks to a superb long through ball from Jack Freeman which Tyler White slotted home. Hethersett went 3-1 up thanks to an excellent finish from Harry Denny. Thorpe did not give up and were gifted a lifeline due to a misunderstanding in the Hethersett defence. Jack Freeman continued to find space on the left hand side and was producing some fine balls to the two strikers and his efforts paid off when Harry Denny made it 4-2 on 51 minutes. Harry Denny got onto the end of yet another Jack Freeman ball to put the home side 5-2 up and five minutes later Harry slotted home his fourth of the game and Hethersett's sixth. Jack Freeman was outstanding and Harry Denny was awarded man of the match for his four goals.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U15s put in a lacklustre performance and lost 3-0 at Watton. Watton took a half-time lead. Hethersett pushed forward after the break but had no cutting edge and two breakaway goals gave Watton a well deserved victory.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U10s put in a fine performance against a strong and unbeaten Blofield side who are sitting on top of the league. Half-time score was 0-0 with Hethersett having most of the play.

The second half was much the same but Blofield forced the ball over the line after a goalmouth scramble to finish 1-0 winners.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U14s were hit by a combination of school bugs, injuries, appendix operations and a bowls match and fielded just 11 players for the game against Harling. An injury after 15 minutes meant that Hethersett played the game against physical opposition with just 10 players. However, a much more spirited performance from Hethersett saw them push Harling close after a 5-1 defeat against the same side the previous week. Hethersett's goals came from Curtis Alton and James Groom.

HETHERSETT U13 began their game against Horsford with a three-player advantage with the visitors fielding eight players rising to nine. Hethersett soon made the advantage count with Matty Butcher scoring two quick goals. Robert Warminger increased the lead before Butcher grabbed two more finely finished strikes. Horsford to their credit continued battling but it was Hethersett who went into the break five goals to the good. The second period continued in the same way with three further goals from Robert Warminger, and another coming from Josh Denny, who reverted to midfield for the second half. Max Bishop did everything asked for when called upon in goal and was supported by the dominant back four.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U9s had two good wins. They beat Diss 3-1 with goals from Max Beckett, Daniel Ward and Aiden Standley and then beat Poringland 3-0 with Max Beckett scoring twice and the other coming from Ben Lacey