Wymondham Mercury area notes

HETHERSETT GIRLS U17 added the Norfolk and Suffolk Girls U17 League Cup to their league title.The semi-finals and final were played at Kirkley on the same evening.

HETHERSETT GIRLS U17 added the Norfolk and Suffolk Girls U17 League Cup to their league title.The semi-finals and final were played at Kirkley on the same evening. In the semi-finals Hethersett beat Swindell Girls 3-0 with hot shot Hannah Waters scoring twice and the other coming from an own goal. A single goal from Hannah was enough to beat Bungay in the final and take her tally for the season to a club record 82.

HETHERSETT HEARTS are champions of the Norfolk League Second Division. They needed just a point from their game at Hockering to take the title at their first attempt and won 3-0 thanks to goals from Hannah Waters, Lauren Matthews and Charlie Swann.

HETHERSETT U14 GIRLS beat Red Rose 6-2 with hat-tricks from Ella Stephenson and Sophie Rock.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U13 had a full side out against Attleborough. Attleborough took the lead and Hethersett struggled until shortly before the break when player of the month Jack Walker fed Robert Warminger on the right and he slotted home from a tight angle. Hethersett created another couple of chances but the first half ended 1-1. After the break both sides applied pressure without reward. Late on in the half, Josh Denny reverted from defence to midfield to feed Warminger again on the right to lob the keeper with a trademark goal. Attleborough surged forward late on but could not break through Hethersett's defence. Lemmon, Parker, Butcher, Ryan, Cowan, Mehtab, Read, Wyatt, Frazer, Easter and Bishop also deserve credit for their contribution for this hard earned victory securing Hethersett's third place finish in the league.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U11 were missing six key players against top of the table Old Catton. Hethersett's star player Tyler White went in goal for only the second time this season and performed heroics between the sticks and pulled off save after save throughout the game. Catton created a number of chances and Hethersett continued to put players behind the ball to keep them at bay. A couple of well taken goals put the league leaders 2-0 up at half-time. The second half continued in the same way with Catton creating the chances and Hethersett defending with their backs to the wall. Hethersett did manage to create a few opportunities but Catton cleverly sniffed these out. Hethersett were tiring and Catton managed another four goals to make the final score 6- 0 to the home team. There were celebrations at the final whistle as Catton was crowned champions. The game was played in a very good spirit and the Catton supporters were friendly and welcoming. Tyler White received the Hethersett man of the match award.

HETHERSETT U16 again had just 10 players including an injured outfield player in goal for the game against Rocklands. Hethersett were 2-1 down at half-time and didn't look like getting anything out of the game. They were fantastic in the second half and their workrate, passing and finishing were first class as they went on to win 4-3. Darren Ford hit a hat-trick and the other scorer was Henry Wainwright.

Most Read

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U12 drew 2-2 at home to Lakeford with both their goals coming from Ashley Gray.

HETHERSETT ATHLETIC U9 went down 3-0 at Mulbarton.

HETHERSETT U12s hosted league champions Lakeford. The boys had prepared well for this match, with extra training and a positive attitude. Hethersett started well, with Ashley Gray putting Hethersett ahead within the first few minutes, and they stayed ahead until 11 minutes into the second half, when a breakdown in communication in the Hethersett defence allowed Lakeford to equalise. Hethersett came back with Ashley Gray's second goal, but their lead was short-lived, with Lakeford getting the final goal of the match, to make it 2-2. A fine performance from Hethersett.

HETHERSETT U9 played their last game of the season against a strong Mulbarton team. We started off slowly but we did not close down and losing our shape in the middle. After five minutes we went 1-0 down, this though seem to kick some life into us and the rest of the half we had the majority of the possession. Cameron had a mazy run taking on three players and but for a Mulbarton block would have scored. From the resulting corner Max hit the post. Ben K was organising well at the back and making some great interceptions. Luke and Dan were playing well on the wings but we couldn't make the breakthrough. In the second half Ben L came on and started off well by holding the ball up and making some great runs. Again we could have scored and again Max hit the post from another corner. As the game drew on Mulbarton were creating more space with Kieran and Ben K making some great tackles and Ryan made three fantastic saves to keep us in it. With six minutes left Mulbarton scored the killer goal and they then got another three minutes later. Final score: 3-0. I just want to say to all the players a massive well done for a fantastic season and to the parents thanks for all your support.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UTD U12 travelled to Salhouse for the final match of the campaign. Both sides pushed forward looking for an opener but in an evenly contested half, where WTU's back four of Matt, Tom F, Daniel and Luke L played very well, clear cut chances were limited. Chris and Michael were competitive in midfield against physically stronger opponents but on many occasions won possession for the team. Oliver contributed a number of good passes to the front two of Tom W and Nathan who continually created good space from excellent movement. WTU created the opener from this source as Nathan found himself unmarked in the penalty area and from 12 yards out he slotted past the advancing keeper. Billy and Bradley joined the fray in the second half and both made solid contributions, but Salhouse gradually began to create more chances and James worked well in goal to keep his side in front. However, two well-taken strikes edged the home side in front but WTU immediately bounced back when good work from Luke W won a throw-in. A neat touch back from Lewis from the throw gave Luke L an opportunity to send over a dangerous cross from which Nathan headed home an equaliser. The match was heading for a draw but unfortunately Salhouse broke forward and an unmarked striker took his opportunity with minutes remaining to earn a 3-2 win. Player-of-the-match: All the players for a spirited and good performance. In another match WTU travelled to Toftwood with 11 players and initially weathered strong attacking play from the home side. Both Tom F and Matthew made excellent goal line clearances whilst Lewis broke forward purposefully on a couple of occasions, however, Wymondham's final ball into dangerous areas did not provide the finish required. James made a number of fine saves to keep his side in the match but pressure finally told and Toftwood took a 1-0 advantage into the second half. Michael once again covered significant parts of the Toftwood pitch in his quest to close down opposition whilst Oliver also battled well in the centre of midfield. Chris worked his left flank well but Toftwood ensured a covering defender was always on hand to prevent his crosses getting into the danger zone. Luke L tried a number of short corner routines which were difficult to defend but his crosses always seemed to be cleared by a Toftwood head. Tom W reverted to centre half after making a good contribution up front. This change was to accommodate Jamie who bravely carried on up front whilst injured. As the 11 players tired Toftwood's strike force found more space and they clinically took their opportunities. Nathan however scored a deserved and brave consolation goal to make the score 3-1 when a good build-up down the right resulted in a ball being guided between the defence and keeper and he surged forward to head past the onrushing keeper. Final score: 7-1. Player-of-the-match: Lewis, good skills, positive runs and defensive support.

WYMONDHAM U9 after last week's defeat at the hands of Mundford it would be interesting to see how the squad would react. Charlie Gavin took over between the sticks for this away match and demonstrated good hands when required. Sonny Clarke was back in the starting line-up after getting home at 2am in the morning after his holiday in Australia, great attitude Sonny. The game looked a bit like an end-of-season clash, with neither side really offering too much, but then Henry Metcalf crashed a shot towards goal, which the Indies keeper got his hands on but it had too much power and crept across the line for 1-0. Wymondham then had a lucky escape when the Indies striker hit a shot that hit both posts and ended up back in Charlie's hands. Just before half-time Jacob Bush got his name on the score sheet with a right-footed drive into the bottom corner. In the second half Wymondham were more dominant, although they could not add to the score line, as Henry, Jacob, Curtis Bell all went close on numerous occasions. Luke Hunt was showing his qualities whether playing in midfield or at the back, and Jamie Blanchflower was solid as he has been for a big part of the season. Next week the squad face Brandon in the cup final (kick-off 12.30pm) at Watton Sports Centre. Wymondham man-of-the-match: Charlie Gavin, opposition man-of-the-match. Jacob Bush.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U9 completed their season with home fixtures last Sunday against an improving Firside team and top-of-the-table Sprowston. Firside were the first opponents and on a firm surface the game began with neither team creating any clear cut chances. United just had the edge however and following a good run and cross by William F which eluded everyone, Christy then worked it wide to Lewis whose shot was saved competently. Another cross by Lewis fizzed across the goal without a touch before Firside had even threatened. When they did it produced a clear opening but the striker blazed over. Lewis then had another effort saved as Wymondham continued to dominate. As another attack built down the left the ball broke to Becca who fired a looping effort first time from 20 yards out which beat the keeper all ends up, a brilliant goal to put United 1-0 up. Firside hit back immediately, but were foiled by a great save by keeper Lucas. Defender Jack B then made a timely interception and found Lewis whose cross flew across the face of the goal. United were playing some good stuff and just before half-time as the rain began to pour down, Becca found Lewis in the Firside box and the skipper finished neatly to put us 2-0 up. William F then had a long range shot go wide as the half ended. After a couple of halftime substitutions, which seemed to interrupt our rhythm, Firside began to get on top. They drove down the left and fired in a crisp low shot which deflected in at the near post to make it 2-1. A second soon followed and after dominating the first half Wymondham found themselves level at 2-2. Following some adjustments which restored our balance, United responded quickly. Daniel worked it to Lewis who in turn found Jack C on the edge of the box. The striker steered it across to Becca who made no mistake from close range. With conditions deteriorating and some players losing their footing, Firside capitalised by firing home the equaliser just before the final whistle. Final score: 3-3. A slightly disappointing result but still a good team effort. Player-of-the-match: Becca Russell, two great finishes and an assist in the other.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UTD U9's last fixture was a daunting one against the undefeated leaders Sprowston. They soon got on top and immediately forced keeper Daniel into a great save. A couple of corners soon followed but Jack B and Christy in defence dealt with them efficiently. Gradually we started to gain a bit of possession with Lucas, Becca and Lewis working hard in midfield along with William C up front. A typical Lewis run down the right almost carved Sprowston apart before Becca crossed for Lucas who just failed to connect. Sprowston then broke quickly but with an open goal the forward rattled a post. Christy then neatly sidestepped two players and found Lucas whose first time shot was well saved. A great effort from Lewis also hit the post and his shot from the rebound was smartly saved. Just as our hopes were rising for an upset, Sprowston took advantage of a corner not being cleared and fired home the opener. The second half began well for Wymondham with Lewis and William F both going close. In defence Jack B made another great interception and it wasn't against the run of play when Christy worked it to Lewis in midfield and the skipper fired in a fine equaliser. We then enjoyed our best spell of the match forcing two corners before Christy turned neatly and saw his shot saved at the near post. A long range volley from Lewis then forced the keeper into another save. From that point however, Sprowston began to assert. Daniel in goal thwarted one effort with a fine save but from another corner Sprowston took the lead to make it 2-1. After a long clearance upfield we were caught once again as the ball broke to their forward who made no mistake 3-1. It could have been worse but for some smart thinking by Jack B in defence clearing another late effort away. Final score: 3-1 Sprowston. A fine match and terrific team performance against a talented team. Player-of-the-match: Jack Bates, sterling work in defence. Congratulations to all the squad for a magnificent fourth place in the league.