Wymondham Mercury area notes

HETHERSETT Girls U15 rotated their squad for their home game against Red Rose, but still came away with a comfortable 4-1 victory. Defender Beth Evans showed that she has the goal touch with a hat-trick, her third from the penalty spot. Hethersett’s other strike came from top scorer Sophie Rock. Ella Stephenson was once again outstanding in another good Hethersett display.

HETHERSETT U16 visited Wymondham and went down 2-0.

HETHERSETT U15 hit the goal trail with a 16-0 win over Mattishall. It was a very good performance from Hethersett who pushed forward at every opportunity in an effort to improve their goal difference. Hethersett’s defence found little difficulty in keeping a clean sheet and Scott Grimes scored 11 — the second-highest haul by an individual player in the history of the club. Thomas Caulder scored two and other goals came from Will Foster, Ben Smith and an own goal.

HETHERSETT U14 began slowly against Costessey before Robert Warminger slotted home a fine goal and then added another. Hethersett dominated the second half with Warminger adding another three. Player of the month Matthew Youngs scored a hat-trick with further goals from Josh Denny, Jack Walker, Ryan Stone and a header from Matthew Butcher who was outstanding in defence. Keeper Ryan capped another fine display with a late penalty save. Credit goes to Costessey for their superb attitude during and after the game which Hethersett won 12-0.

HETHERSETT U12 carved out early chances on their visit to Costessey and opened the scoring with a fine Tyler White header. Harry Denny made it 2-0 before the break. Lewis Fox came out of goal for the second half as Hethersett continued to dominate. White volleyed in Hethersett’s third and then added two more to take his individual tally to four. Oliver Warrington completed the scoring to give Hethersett a 6-0 win Some poor finishing and some excellent saves from the Costessey keeper restricted Hethersett to six.

HETHERSETT U11 were out-played by a very good Watton side. Hethersett were forced to defend throughout the game but never gave up. Ollie Hudson Church had an outstanding game at centre- half to take MoM honours. The final score was 18-0 which is an improvement on the last two meetings against Watton where Hethersett lost 29-0 in the cup and 23-2 in the league game. James Ingham took the trophy for January’s player of the month.

HETHERSETT U9 were unlucky not to take a point from their match against Diss. They battled well against a tough and physical opposition but went down 2-1, with their goal from Henry Kemp.

Most Read

WYMONDHAM TOWN U10 visited reigning champions Brandon for the second time in three weeks after knocking the holders out of the cup 5-1 two weeks ago. Town started slowly and had Connor Milligan to thank with some outstanding keeping. A free-kick came crashing back off the post. Luke Hunt was immaculate at the back and did not put a foot wrong, and he was assisted by the impressive Sonny Clark. Jacob Bush was battling hard down the left but the first half ended goalless. Curtis Bell was making some intelligent runs in behind the home defence as Town started to get on top. Bryn Mullen’s teasing cross tempted the keeper to overstretch and palm the ball to Henry Metcalf who knocked the ball high into the net. Charlie Gavin was introduced to add some grit to the performance. The goal was the signal for Town to dominate and again after great wing play from Bryn, Henry was on hand to score from a yard out. Lewis Thurston then thudded a volley against a post. The final whistle arrived and this brought a superb 2-0 win. MoM: Luke Hunt. Opposition MoM: Luke Hunt.

ATTLEBOROUGH TOWN U11, following a 3-0 win at Horsford, faced tougher opposition hosting Scole, who had won 3-1 in their previous encounter. Although they had the most possession in the first half, Boro could not find the net but they came back even stronger in the second half. Miles floated a shot in from the edge of the box which the keeper could only push into his own net. Scole upped their effort but the Boro back four and keeper Binty kept them at bay. Bevis fired a header from a Miles cross which the keeper could not hold and Kindred slotted home to finish the game 2-0. A great team display.

ATTLEBOROUGH U15 visited Stalham in what was a bad- tempered game with two penalties and two yellow cards. Boro had several chances that were not taken and Craig Ball came closest with a shot hitting a post. Stalham continued to press and could have scored more but missed one penalty and put several shots wide. A poor performance from a side that has lost its top spot in the league and a day that needs forgetting. Final score: Stalham 4, Attleborough 0.

HETHERSETT U10 entertained Dereham. Luke and Cam were playing very well down the wings and were linking up well with Oli and Max. Oli was causing Dereham a lot of problems up front and he slid it through to Cam but the shot just went wide. Hethersett were on top and playing some nice football and deserved to go in front. Corner from Max went to Oli who took a player on and placed it in the bottom corner. Three minutes later Hethersett went two up when a good ball from the back found Luke on the left who played it inside to Oli who in turn played it wide to Cam who shot first time and scored. The second half was a completely different story. Dereham came out all guns blazing and put Hethersett under a lot of pressure. With the defensive trio of Kieran, Ben and Ryan keeping them at bay. Half way through the second half Dereham pulled a goal back. Ben Lacey, who worked tirelessly on the left, made a great run and his shot hit a post. The last few minutes were end to end and Dereham had a chance to equalise but Hethersett held on to win 2-1.

WYMONDHAM TOWN U15 secured a third win of the season with a comfortable 6-2 win at Mattishall. The first part of the game was dominated by Mattishall, but Wymondham won a corner which was turned in by Alex Wilson. A cracking goal from 25 yards by Joe Bush doubled the lead before Alex scored a second goal from a corner to make it 3-0. Mattishall claimed one goal back just before half-time and scored again just after the break, suddenly bringing themselves back into the game at 3-2. However Wymondham stepped it up a gear; Robbie Coates scored a superb goal from about 30 yards and Joe scored his second before Alex Wilson claimed his hat-trick from the penalty spot to round off the scoring. Final score: Mattishall 2, Wymondham 6. MoM: Alex Wilson.

WYMONDHAM TOWN U9 picked up three points at home in a fast- paced game against Blofield. The away side took the early advantage before Wymondham hit back with goals from Joe Mower and Michael Russell to make it 2-2 at half-time. The second half some excellent attacking play by Euan Stevenson and Matthew Carter backed up by the usual strong performance from James Carter. Joe’s second goal put the home side ahead and was quickly followed by a wonder strike from Archie Dyer. With Wymondham on top for large periods the game was put beyond the away team with Joe completing his hat-trick and giving Town a well-deserved win.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U10 travelled to bottom team Toftwood, hoping to get back to winning ways. United went ahead when Christy’s shot was only parried by the keeper and Will F was on hand to knock it in. Jack C and Daniel then combined nicely but Daniel’s shot found the side netting. Wymondham went 2-0 up when Daniel’s shot was blocked but broke to Christy whose pin-point cross was headed home from close range by Jack C. Just before half-time Toftwood woke up but defenders Lucas and Jack B denied them with great covering and keeper Ollie pushed away a dangerous corner. The second half began with Daniel having a great effort saved. Will C and Karin set up Christy for the third. Christy found Will C, whose crisp shot was turned away for a corner. Lucas, Daniel and Christy all nearly added to the score before a rare Toftwood break caught Wymondham napping and made it 3-1. They quickly added a second and a nervous few minutes followed. Daniel and Lucas were inches away from making it safe and the team deservedly held on. Final score 3-2. A fine team performance. MoM: Christy Maidman, fine distribution, set up two goals and scored the other.