Wymondham Mercury football action

WYMONDHAM TOWN UTD U8 faced Mattishall in a great game.

A fine run through the middle found Billy who was able to run through on goal. A clearance from the Mattishall keeper found Joshua, who made a fine pass through to Denis. Elliot’s hard work paid off with a great cross to Billy. Great movement and passing from Billy, Elliot and Denis allowed Elliot through on goal. Rohan, in goal for Wymondham, had little to do, but came out well when called upon. In the last few minutes more great movement and runs from Ewan and Denis, with Joshua picking up a cleared shot from Ewan. MoM: Elliot.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UTD U8 faced Diss in an evenly-matched game, which saw both teams work extremely hard against the strong winds. Elliot was the first to break free, passing to Billy in Midfield, a great cross found Joshua whose shot was turned away by the keeper. During the second half, Conor in goal came off his line well on a number of occasions. Ewan, Elliot and Billy all made great runs. Aaron’s hard work in defence kept Diss at bay, with two fine shots from Denis being turned away. MoM: Aaron.

WYMONDHAM TOWN U9 are still undefeated for 2011 after a consecutive home win got them past a determined Poringland team. Some excellent defending by Sam Hartley, and a superb performance between the sticks by Max Taylor, kept out Poringland’s early efforts while at the other end a flurry of goals saw Wymondham take advantage. Matthew Carter and Euan Stevenson scored two goals each with James Carter and Ben Holding finishing well. Luke Morgan came close to extend the lead further but the game was put beyond doubt with Elliott Henderson’s well-deserved goal. An amazing save at the final whistle by Max completed a wonderful day for the home side. Final score: Wymondham Town 7, Poringland 0.

WYMONDHAM U10 in the first half with the wind at their backs, had Dereham pinned in for virtually the whole half. Lewis Thurston, Luke Hunt, Jacob Bush and Bryn Mullen all went close. The first goal eventually came, with a touch of good fortune about it. A Henry Metcalf cross was deflected passed his own keeper by a visiting defender. Charlie Gavin was introduced and battled well. Just on the stroke of half-time a lovely Lewis cross was met well by Henry at the far post and he drove into the top corner for 2-0. Another lovely through-ball from Lewis sent Henry away from the halfway line to neatly slot passed the advancing keeper for 3-0. The second half and playing into the wind, Wymondham played some better passing football but had to call on the reliable Connor Milligan, who made a superb diving block. Josh Bush came close in the second half, and after some good play out wide Henry cut in past a defender to complete his hat-trick. Final score: Wymondham U10 4, Dereham Wanderers 0. Wymondham MoM: Henry Metcalf. Opposition MoM: Henry Metcalf.

WYMONDHAM TOWN U10 travelled to Scole and drew 1-1, with the strong wind a large factor in the game. Will F and Jack C both had chances but Scole also forced keeper Ollie to make good saves. Daniel then had a good effort blocked before the home team hit a post. Ollie cleared directly into the Scole area where Will F brought it under control and coolly tapped it in. The second half was mainly in United’s half but Jack B and Christy were defending well. With the wind in their favour, Scole forced a corner and equalised following a frantic scramble. Ollie made some outstanding saves but Wymondham held on for a valuable point. Battling team display. MoM: Ollie Palmer.

WYMONDHAM TOWN U13 produced a determined display against Watton to record their first win of the season. Playing with a strong wind in the first half, WTU created a number of chances. Nathan hooked a shot just wide and Luke L’s shot was well saved. Excellent defending from Harry, Matt C, Jamie and Daniel coupled with confident keeping from James ensured the scores remained level. WTU grabbed the lead when an excellent cross from Luke L was headed in by a defender. Nathan’s cross was met by Luke L who cooly steered home. Watton reduced the deficit but a fantastic solo effort came from Nathan, beating a number of players before rounding the keeper to score. Henry and Tom F played vital defensive roles in midfield to stem the flow of attacks. Watton made it 3-2. Luke B won a great tackle in midfield, and Nathan’s cross/shot was deflected into the goal by a defender and WTU led 4-2. Watton gained a fortunate third but Wymondham stuck to their task to seal a deserved victory. PoM Harry, strong defensive display.

Most Read

ATTLEBOROUGH U15 were at home to Thorpe Rovers for their third straight defeat after returning from the Christmas break, which sees them slipping down the league table. Thorpe took the lead before Curtis Bolton equalised, but Thorpe were the strongest and scored another three goals on a wind-battered pitch. This week’s manager’s MoM goes to Jordan Sacharczuk for his efforts in trying to get the team together. Final score: Attleborough 1, Thorpe Rovers 4.

HETHERSETT U14 travelled to close rivals North Walsham and began with a strong wind in their favour. Hethersett had several chances including two Youngs’ free-kicks hitting the woodwork. Walsham applied pressure after the break but Living, Butcher and keeper Ryan were outstanding in defence. Further Hethersett attacking play was finally rewarded when Ryan Stone volleyed home from just inside the box. Hethersett soaked up late pressure to record an important away win.

HETHERSETT U16 fielded just 11 players at Hellesdon. Hethersett knew the match would be physical and competitive but unfortunately their hearts weren’t beating to a passionate, combative drum. Too many unconfident challenges allowed Hellesdon to dominate and three relatively soft goals in the first half killed the game and Hellesdon grew in confidence and strengthened their position to score four more after the break.

HETHERSETT U9 worked really hard to get to the quarter-finals of their league cup but then found themselves with players unavailable against Mulbarton. Nevertheless, the team worked hard and it was an enjoyable match but Hethersett ended on the wrong end of a 4-0 scoreline.

HETHERSETT U15 found their League Cup quarter-final at Dereham was dominated by the windy conditions. Two very early goals were literally blown in over the Hethersett keeper. Dereham’s good passing suited the conditions much better than the long ball over the top favoured by too many Hethersett players on the day. The result was a 9-0 win for Dereham.

HETHERSETT U11 put on a great performance against St Andrews in a bottom-of-the-table clash. St Andrew’s took the lead when the Hethersett defence was unable to clear the ball. Hethersett continued to play attacking football but St Andrew’s were awarded a penalty after Fredi Rodderman raised his hands when heading a ball in the area. The penalty was well taken leaving Ben Woodruff (MoM) no chance in the Hethersett goal. Hethersett played the better football in the second half which paid off when Jack Kirby broke through to score. Hethersett went close to equalising near the end when Joe Stennett’s shot came back off a post.

HETHERSETT U13 visited Old Catton in the league, losing 2-0.