Wymondham Mercury notes

HETHERSETT U16 went down 4-1 at home to Horsford, with their goal coming from Henry Wainwright.HETHERSETT U15 beat Attleborough 5-3, with Josh Wilcox hitting a hat-trick and the scoring being completed by Luke House and an own goal.

HETHERSETT U16 went down 4-1 at home to Horsford, with their goal coming from Henry Wainwright.

HETHERSETT U15 beat Attleborough 5-3, with Josh Wilcox hitting a hat-trick and the scoring being completed by Luke House and an own goal.

HETHERSETT U14 visited Firside and came away with a 3-1 win, thanks to two goals from Curtis Alton and one from Will Foster.

HETHERSETT GIRLS U14 went down 6-1 to Norwich City Girls, with their goal coming from Ella Stephenson. Despite the defeat the girls look certain to finish runners-up to Norwich City.

HETHERSETT U13 went down 2-1 at Scole, with their goal coming from Robert Warminger.

HETHERSETT U12 had a good 5-1 home win over Firside. Ashley Gray and Guy Peres both hit doubles and the other goal came from Lewis Baxter.

Most Read

HETHERSETT U11 found Thorpe too strong for them and went down 10-3. Hethersett's goals came from Taylor White, Harry Denny and Jasper Williams.

HETHERSETT U10 lost 2-1 to Costessey (Aaron Walker) and 6-0 to Lakeford.

HETHERSETT U9 beat Taverham 2-1 (Ben Lacey and Max Beckett) but lost 2-0 to Rocklands.

HETHERSETT U9 were on their travels again as they played Taverham and Rocklands. First up was Rocklands. This was always going to be a tough game and so it proved. With having to reshuffle some of the players Hethersett didn't have their natural fluency although they were holding our own for the first few minutes. Five minutes gone and Rocklands scored. Ryan kicked the ball up the field and their player volleyed it back and it just went under the bar and in the net. Three minutes later it was 2-0 when Rocklands capitalised on another clearance to score again. The second half after making a few tactical changes Hethersett started to play a bit. Max was unlucky when he rode two challenges and the keeper saved with his legs. Dan then had a great chance but the ball just squirmed wide. Luke was playing out of his skin on the left and Aiden on the right. But Hethersett just couldn't get the goal they deserved. Final score 2-0.

HETHERSETT U9 in their second game against Taverham started off very slowly as they scored early on. After that though it was one way traffic. Cam, Max, Dan and Aiden all had great chances to equalise. Luke who played at the back for the first time was again outstanding as he and Ben K were mopping up any Taverham attack. Even with all Hethersett's pressure they couldn't break through before half-time. In the second half Ben L replaced Cam and again we were creating all the chances. With a goalmouth scramble Max stabbed the ball home to equalise. Two minutes later Max played a ball down the line and thinking the ball was going to run out Ben L stretched for the ball with his right foot and from the narrowest of angles made it 2-1. Taveraham were offering very little and with chances still coming for the boys they deserved to win by more. Final score 2-1.

WYMONDHAM Town United U12 conceded an early goal, giving the Mattishall player too much time following a corner and he duly dispatched his effort into the corner of the net. The Wymondham players however rallied and battling against a strong wind forged forward on a number of occasions. Tom Wagg's excellent effort struck the bar and Nathan broke free but his effort was well saved by the keeper. Both Daniel and Tom F playing at full back defended well against skilful opponents whilst Jamie and Oliver tried to gain control of midfield. Luke L cut inside from the left and his rising drive was well saved by the keeper. James produced two great stops himself in the home side's goal to keep them in the game. The second half started with WTU in the ascendancy and several chances were created but firstly Tom W's strike was just wide and Luke L's fine chip shot floated just over the bar. Lewis drove in a number of fine crosses but the Mattishall defence held firm until Nathan broke free and drilled the equaliser home. Within minutes WTU took the lead as a powerful long-range effort from Nathan deceived the keeper and found the net. Wymondham looked well placed for a win as Bradley and Matthew defended well, and subs Luke W and Chris provided some extra energy as the team continued to seek a third goal. Jamie's long-range free-kick was well saved but with five minutes remaining Mattishall scored an excellent equaliser and then snatched victory in the last moments with a far-post tap-in. WTU deserved more from this match but must be proud of their effort and determination. PoM: Bradley Russell, solid defensive display, great covering.

HETHERSETT U10 were under pressure at the start of this game. Then Hethersett got a throw in, which Oli took, Liam headed the ball into the path of Aaron to fire a great left foot volley past the keeper. Costessey did not give up and scored after keeper Taylor dropped a cross to go in 1-1 at half-time. In the second half Costessey scored from a free kick to make the final score 2-1. In their game against Lakeford their opponents got off to a great start scoring straight from kick-off, then again from the restart. Hethersett never got going and found themselves 4-0 down at half-time. The second half was much the same as the first and Hethersett finished their season with a 6-0 defeat. It's been a difficult but enjoyable season. Well done boys. Let's look forward to 11-a-side football next season.

ATTLEBOROUGH U14 were over-powered by the physical strength of Wenedene Wanderers on Sunday in the first game of two this week. Wenedene opened the scoring within five minutes and dominated play. Boro did manage to reclaim two goals, firstly by Jack Crosswaite who drilled in a superb free kick and then in the second half courtesy of James Haylock who hit the goal of the match. Final score: Wenedene 6, Attleborough 2. MoM: Jordan Sacharczuk. These two teams meet again on Thursday night at Gaymers Meadow.

HETHERSETT U12 entertained Firside for the first time this season on a bright but blustery day on the Memorial park. Hethersett started off in fine form with a Connor, Lewis partnership putting the first one in for the home team and Guy made it 2-0 just a few moments later. By half time in what was the best game of the season for Hethersett, the boys were 4-0 up with a further goal for Guy and Ashley hitting it home from 20 yards out. Into the second half and after five minutes Ashley got his second, but moments later Firside got one back. Final score Hethersett 5 Firside 1.

MORLEY YOUTH U10 hosted a league match at home against Thetford Bulldogs. The game kicked off with a very determined Bulldogs giving Morley the run around in the first few minutes of the game. Morley struggled to break through Bulldogs defences, when they did only to find that their shots on goal were all saved by a very positive and determined keeper. Bulldogs fought back giving Morley something to think about and a wake-up call. Liam Cossey and Robbie Boulter tried in vain to get a goal with a selection of near misses until just before half time and Robbie managed to get a goal, giving the half time score of 1-0 to Morley. Morley came back into the second half on a more positive note working as a team and applying pressure on the Bulldogs defences. This resulted in goals from Nathan Cotton and Robbie Boulter just showing how Morley can play under pressure when working together. Bulldogs not giving up then got a goal back. Morley then put everything into its defences to hold the score in what was a very variable game. Final score Morley 4, Bulldogs 1 with the visitors MoM going to Bulldogs goal keeper for outstanding work and Morley MoM going to Nathan Cotton for his exceptional performance.

WYMONDHAM TOWN UNITED U10: How would the team respond to the previous week's defeat? That was the management team's concern for this tricky home match against Swaffham. The boys answered this question within the first five minutes, when they powered into a 2-0 lead, with a great strike from outside the box from the impressive Jacob Bush and a neat finish from Henry Metcalf. Henry then picked up the ball on the halfway line, went past two defenders, and crashed the third past the stranded keeper. Then just before the 15 minute mark, a clever-thinking Luke Hunt took a quick throw up the line to Henry, who lifted a great pass into the path of Jacob, who raced clear of the Swaffham defence before unleashing another cracking drive from outside the box for 4-0. Jacob then drove an inch-perfect cross in for Henry to calmly volley home for his hat-trick and Wymondham's fifth. The impressive Sonny Clarke then got on the score-sheet with a typically powerful shot that crashed past the keeper, and just before half-time, Henry got his fourth after delightfully curling a shot past the keeper from an acute angle for 7-0. Lewis Thurston in goal was assured in everything he had to do, and his distribution was first class. Charlie Gavin was immense at the back, winning all his tackles and looking composed with his passing. In the second half Curtis Bell and Jamie Blanchflower were introduced into the line-up, and Curtis was unfortunate on a couple of occasions not to add to the score, and worked well, linking nicely with his team-mates. Jamie defended well and distributed the ball well when playing out of defence. The eighth goal arrived from Sonny, striking from distance and giving the keeper no chance. Luke Hunt added his name to the score-sheet, getting on the end of a free-flowing move and coolly slotting into the net, and just before the full-time whistle Jacob got on the end of a neat through-pass to slot past the advancing keeper for a well deserved hat-trick and number 10. The management were proud of the team and the way that they responded after last week's reversal. Wymondham MoM: Jacob Bush; Opposition MoM: Henry Metcalf.

WYMONDHAM U10 played Attleborough on a bright and dry day. AA's pass to MB is intercepted by the Attleborough forward and goes out for a throw-in. Wymondham start piling on the pressure as they attack downhill with their characteristic one touch passes. Anthony A hits the side net after motoring down the right flank from a through ball; Joe A wins a throw-in for Wymondham and from the resulting throw, Tai forces a save from the keeper. A precise corner taken by Joe A flashed across the front of Attleborough's goalpost and went out for a goal kick. The pressure was beginning to tell on Attleborough and their defence seem somewhat disorientated by the sustained attack by Wymondham. Anthony Walshe made his first save of the day from a rare Attleborough attack. Goal! Joe A intercepted a loose ball close to the halfway line and whizzed past two Attleborough players and from distance unleashed a sublime shot that seemed to be going over the bar but sailed into the top left corner for Wymondham's first goal. The deadlock had finally been broken. Wymondham continud where they stopped as they displayed their dazzling array of passes, building on the momentum from their goal. Marland released Tai down the left flank and Wymondham win a corner, piling on even more pressure. The corner was saved for a goal kick. In the second half and Attleborough went on the offensive as they attack downhill. Ben and Sam defended well from a throw-in. Anthony A forced a save from a shot outside the penalty area. A free kick was saved by Anthony W who was now having to do much more than he had to in the first part of the game. George won a corner for Wymondham that was saved. Attleborough piled on the pressure and this was eventually rewarded with a goal from close range. Wymondham remained under sustained pressure and defended valiantly, with Ben heading clear off the line twice in quick succession to ensure the scores remain level. Final score: Wymondham 1, Attleborough 1. MoM: Joe A (well deserved from a great display, fine goal).

WYMONDHAM U10 played Firside. Firside attacked the Wymondham goal straight away and Ben tackled brilliantly to dispossess the Firside player and release Marland who combines with George fantastically, but the keeper saved well from George's effort. Anthony W then saved from point-blank range to keep the score level. George skipped past the Firside defence but got dispossessed just before pulling the trigger. MB latched on to a throw in by George to net Wymondham's first of the match. Once again Ben was strong in Wymondham's defence as he repelled all the Firside attacks. Anthony A came on for Marland. Sam was being a thorn in the side of the Firside attack as he stood solid in defence with his no-nonsense tackles. Joe A nearly lobbed the keeper who only just managed to get his fingertips to get over the ball for a corner. Joe A then skimmed past bewildered defenders and passed to George who slams the ball hard for Wymondham's second. Tai came on for Jake. Firside piled on pressure on Wymondham's defence but got repelled again. Anthony A got released down the centre but is clattered down for a Wymondham free kick. Joe A then scoreds from George's corner. Anthony A nearly scored a fourth from Joe A's corner but the keeper saves from close range. Another three points in the bag for Wymondham. Final score: Wymondham 3, Firside 0. MoM: Ben, seems to be back to his best again.

WYMONDHAM U11 played Firside away on Sunday. Despite a strong Wymondham start Firside scored an early goal followed by a spell of pressure on the Wymondham defence. Defenders Alex Raggett, Robert Smith and Henry Felton provided a very strong back wall, deflecting the Firside onslaught. Wymondham started to put together some counter attacks working the ball forward and producing a number of shots at goal. Wymondham were unlucky to concede a second goal 15 minutes into the game. Joe Greenslade scored Wymondham's first getting onto a long free-kick into the box from John Moore to tap the ball past the Firside goalie. Just before half time Craig Attewell cleared the ball from the Wymondham goal line to prevent a third Firside goal. Wymondham looked a much stronger team in the second half Firside were finding it difficult to get the ball out of their area. Wymondham's Marcus Black was using his pace to constantly run at the Firside goal and was unlucky not to score. Firside finally collapsed under the constant Wymondham attacks with Matthew Rennie scoring Wymondham's second 15 minutes into the second half and a couple of minutes later Wymondham's Ben Carding tapped in a third Wymondham goal. Firside were still putting together counter attacks but were finding it difficult to get the ball into the Wymondham half. Craig Attewell scored Wymondham's fourth goal as the ball rebounded back to him from a corner ideally positioned for a shot at goal. Wymondham did very well to come back from two goals down. The team are on their best form since the start of the season and look strong enough to beat any of the teams in their league. Final score Firside 2, Wymondham 4. MoM: Craig Attewell.