Wymondham through to cup derby quarter-final
Wymondham Ladies progressed into the quater-final of the League Cup with a 4-1 win away to Aylsham Reserves.
Wymondham were missing the ever-present captain Natalie Woods and reshuffled the squad with good effect.
Wymondham were in control of the match for long periods and put the pressure on Aylsham early on.
After good pressure, Wymondham had chances come anf go for Naomi after a piledriver and a deflected shot from Gemma hit the bar, but it was Georgina Knight who opened the scoring, placing the ball into the bottom corner beautifully.
Christine was showing great hands and made several good saves but with one minute to go, Aylsham equalised after Christine’s clearance was shut down and rebounded to leave Aylsham with an open net. Half time 1-1.
The second half produced more goals and it wasn’t long before Louise scored with a looping effort over the goalkeeper. Gemma had a goal chalked off for a dubious offside call but Wymondham continued to press.
Aylsham had one good chance in the second half, but Christine made a fantastic diving save to tip it round the post.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 2 Webber maps out City transfer strategy
- 3 Stuart Webber opens up on Norwich City's dire season
- 4 City fans react to controversial Webber interview
- 5 Media exclusion from Webber interview hardly 'transparent'
- 6 City legend Fleming departs Southampton coaching role
- 7 'The focus now has to be on where the club goes from here' - Robin Sainty
- 8 How much is Teemu Pukki worth to Norwich City?
- 9 City more together than some think - Webber
- 10 We haven't given up on City - Fans rush to buy tickets for new season
There was still time for Wymondham to attack, which was fluid throughout the game, including great one and two-touch play, especially from Naomi, Laura, Louise and Mez and two more goals came from Mez and Louise after more good build-up play.
Wymondham were solid throughout and dynamic in attack and deserved the win which sets up a local derby with Hethersett in the quarter-final.
Hethersett are the visitors to King’s Head Meadow on Sunday in the league, 2pm kick off.