Yachtsmen miss out

Michael Bailey Wroxham's hopes of catching the Ridgeons League Premier Division front-runners took a further knock on Saturday when they were held 2-2 at CRC.

Michael Bailey

Wroxham's hopes of catching the Ridgeons League Premier Division front-runners took a further knock on Saturday when they were held 2-2 at CRC.

Sam Cutler's powerful free- kick on six minutes for the Cambridgeshire side was cancelled out after the officials agreed Andy Key's 16th minute corner had crossed the goal line.

But CRC restored their lead on 34 minutes when Piers Wixon latched on to a long defensive clearance and drove the ball under keeper Robert Woodcock.

You may also want to watch:

Wroxham drew level just before half-time, when Gilman scored from close range after good work from Harley and White. But with chances at a premium in the second half, the game finished level, leaving Wroxham seven points behind Needham Market, having played a game more, and nine adrift of Soham from a game less.

As Needham Market reached the FA Vase quarter-finals with a 4-0 win over St Ives in their fifth round replay, Soham replaced them at the top, winning 1-0 at Swaffham.

Most Read

Fourth-placed Mildenhall, meanwhile, were 5-1 winners against Felixstowe.

Kirkley & Pakefield put distance between themselves in fifth and Dereham Town in sixth, with a 2-1 win.

Dereham player-manager Adam Gusterson broke the deadlock after half-an-hour with a 25-yard screamer, but Kirkley equalised almost immediately as Nathan Stone scored with a rocket of his own.

Kirkley started the second half brighter and sealed the three points on 64 minutes. Paul Highfield header beating Shaun Marshall in the Magpies' goal. Kirkley's Stone was sent off late on.

Leiston ran out 2-0 winners over Newmarket Town and moved up to eighth, but Lowestoft had to settle for a

2-2 draw at Walsham-le-Willows despite leading twice through Richard Woodrow and Darren Cockrill.

Norwich United are 16th after trouncing Haverhill Rovers 5-0. Paul Atkins gave them the lead on 25 minutes, taking advantage of a slip by Rovers keeper Aaron Benstead. Atkins' second, plus goals from Shaun Bammant, Adam Smith and Ryan Haynes' penalty on full time completed the rout.

In Division One, Gorleston edged a seven-goal thriller at Godmanchester 4-3. Paul Bass opened the scoring from the spot, but Peter Lambert equalised for the Greens and then despatched Ricci Butler's corner to put them ahead.

Bass bagged his second, nodding in Haydn Beasley's cross, but Lambert soon completed a 14-minute hat-trick and, although Lee Boon made it 3-3, Greens' substitute Danny Western proved the match winner, thumping past keeper Mark White with his first touch.

Diss Town won 6-2 at Thetford thanks to a Danny Partridge brace. Leggett, Jarvie, Norman and Fulcher completed the scoring with Pask and Skipp replying.

Yarmouth beat Downham Town 2-1, Roach equalising before Crawley's late winner. Fakenham lost 2-0 at Hadleigh and stay rooted to the bottom.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus