Yarmouth area youth scene

CAISTER U10 took on Waveney Youth D in a top-of-the-table clash. In a hard-fought, even game, both sides played some good football. Waveney took the game to Caister in the first half, but good defending by Alfie, Danny and Harry and some excellent goalkeeping by Thomas kept the game goal-less at half-time. An improved performance saw Caister dominate the second half. Richie bossed the game from midfield and Will and Logan caused problems down both flanks, setting up chances for Alex, who for once didn’t have his shooting boots on. It finished Waveney Youth D 0, Caister U10 B 0. With three games left it is now in Caister’s hands as to how their season finishes. MoM: Richie (energetic non-stop performance). Next match: Cobholm A (home).

COBHOLM U10A played their last home game of the season and welcomed Breydon United. Cobholm had the better of the play with Keanan bossing the midfield. Cobholm were playing some nice football and were unlucky to find themselves 1-0 down midway through the first half with a long-range effort finding the top corner. Cobholm were level with Keanan battling hard on the edge of the Breydon area before getting a shot away which Will Field ran onto and flicked round the keeper. Alan went on a run, taking on the Breydon defence and hitting a nice shot which went in off a post. Second half Breydon won a free-kick close to the area which they finished nicely, hitting the top corner again. Breydon left themselves short at the back and Cobholm hit them on the counter with Alan running the ball out of defence and putting a nicely weighted pass through to Will Field who calmly tucked his shot away. The Breydon keeper stood his ground and denied Cobholm on numerous occasions. The match finish 3-2 to Cobholm. Will McGregor had little to do and had no chance with the Breydon goals. Jordan and Mazie were solid in defence, Keanan’s performance in centre midfield was solid and earned him man of the match. Alan and Boulton had good games on the wings making good runs and playing good through balls for Will Field who battled hard up front and was unlucky not to get a hat-trick. Cobholm said a big thank you to Alfie Thompson for refereeing all season and doing a fine job.

FC BRADWELL U8 played host to a strong Kirkly & Pakefield C. FC Started with Alex in goal, Kyle in defence, Sam and Josh in midfield and captain Harry as striker. Bradwell soon got their passing boots on, playing some great football. Alex pulled off some great saves, Kyle was strong at the back leaving Sam, Josh and Harry controlling the midfield for most of the first half. An early injury to Josh allowed sub Tristan to come on and show his pace. Harvey made a very impressive debut in defence, while Harry made way for Toby up front, with the ever-improving Chester swopping with Sam. The second half saw FC dominating most of the first 10 minutes with Harvey making some great tackles at the back. Chester showed great movement on the ball while linking well with Toby. An excellent all-round performance, a great team effort. MoM: Harvey, a defender in the making. Thanks went to R Lee Services and Church Farm Country Inn, Burgh Castle.

GORLESTON RANGERS U8C hosted Waveney Youth U8E. Starting in goal was Joshua, who was alert to any danger. Ben was making amazing runs up front, terrorising the Waveney defence, supported by Cam B and Jayden playing their attacking, visionary game. Tayler was running end to end, tackling in defence one minute and shooting the next. In the second half Tayler took command in goal, leaving Joshua free to command the midfield. Charlie was firm in defence and was spreading the ball around with ease, the perfect partner to the solid tackling and vision of Harry. Jordan showed his commitment in the tackle and on the ball, and Marcus played his part with great searching passes and runs. Man of the match goes to the whole team. Captain for the day was Ben. Thanks go to all the supporters and to Anglian Home Improvements for their sponsorship of the home kit.

GORLESTON RANGERS U10B played St Benets Wasps at Lynn Grove and for the second week in a row totally dominated both halves. Kane was called on once to dive at the feet of a forward, but had nothing else to do. The defence again was solid with Jack and Andreas breaking up any attacks. Despite losing Ryan to illness early on, the middle line of Adam, Harley and Lewis caused all sorts of trouble and created enough scoring opportunities to have won five games. The opposition goalkeeper and the wayward finishing meant the score was kept to 2-0 (Lewis, Harley), but it was a tremendous display of attacking and defensive football. Luke came on and played in the unfamiliar role of main striker and he took to it well, making strong runs at the St Benets defence. This week, Waveney C at Barnards Meadow, meet 10am, blue kit.

BOHEMIANS U12 GIRLS visited Horsford for a match in terrible weather. The girls were lively from the whistle with Ella, Demi and Millie forcing saves. The match developed into an end-to-end game with Briarnie pulling off some good saves. Lauren and Jordan at the back were solid, with Indianna and Olivia playing a flowing role in midfield. After the break Millie slotted home an Indianna corner. Jordan shot from the halfway line, just missing. The defence was brilliant as Horsford pressed for the equaliser. With five minutes left Bohs closed the door by packing the defence for the 1-0 win. The Bohs have taken 17 points from 21, equalling the best in the league.

SWINDELL U13A: In a very exciting game by both teams. Swindell had most of the ball in the first half and could have scored two or three goals but for some fine saves from the Rangers’ keeper. Against the run of play Rangers scored. Swindell re-applied the pressure and Rangers scored an own goal. Swindell still kept up the pressure and scored another goal to make it 2-1 at half-time. In the second half Rangers were kept at bay and could only shoot from distance, but the Swindell keeper and defence kept the ball out. Swindell scored another goal to deservedly make it 3-1. It was then end-to-end football as Rangers tried to get back on terms. In a goalmouth scramble they put the ball in the Swindell net for 3-2. This was the last chance Rangers had at scoring as Swindell’s defence and keeper kept them out with their controlled game. Swindell ran out 3-2 winners. The whole team were voted man of the match for their hard work and team spirit. Goals by Nathan, Bradley and an own goal.

Most Read

GORLESTON RANGERS U8B played at Harleston. It was the first time these two teams had faced each other. There was a lot of action at both ends, partly due to the fact that the pitch was smaller than average. Gorleston had trouble getting the connection at the crucial times. They were lacking on the fundamentals of communication and marking up. They managed to pull back the score in the second half and showed some improved individual play, but overall they did not quite hit the mark this week.

GORLESTON RANGERS U14A entertain Dereham Town in the semi-finals of the Norfolk County Cup this Sunday at Lynn Grove, kick-off 2.30, meet at the ground at 1.45pm. Any problems call Steve on 01493 669241.

SHRUBLANDS U16S GIRLS are in action this week against Loddon, meet Cliff Park High at 1.30pm sharp. Any girls’ or ladies’ teams that can help by giving this team a friendly over next few weeks should call Steve on 01493 661548. Girls who are going on tour to Butlins in May should bring payments to training on Monday 6-7pm. They can either pay one month or the total amount.

GORLESTON RANGERS U13B travelled to Swindell for a top-of-the-table clash. The game started at a fair pace and was end-to-end. Rangers made the breakthrough after 10 minutes with James scoring. Rangers started to leave holes in the midfield which Swindell took advantage of to score two goals in five minutes. Rangers had to reshape as George took an injury, Christian taking over in goal. Rangers went into the break 2-1 down. The second half was as competitive as the first with tackles going in hard and fast. Matt was pushed up front and this changed the tempo and saw Rangers attacking the Swindell goal non-stop. Swindell were able to catch Rangers on the break and scored their third goal. They then went defensive with everyone behind the ball. Rangers managed to get one back through Matt after 20 minutes and kept the pressure up for the rest of the match, Swindell defending for their lives. But they held out, Rangers losing 3-2. Rangers played football in the correct way and can walk away with their heads held high. MoM: Kane for another solid performance. Next match at home to Marsh Harriers, 10am meet for 10.30am kick-off.

GORLESTON RANGERS U7B: Training for this newly-formed team will be on a Friday for the next six weeks in Wroughton Junior School hall, via Burgh Road entrance, 6-7pm. They are currently recruiting new players for this team. Those interested should be in Year 2. For more information either call Jon or Anjali on 01493 650926, or turn up at training.

FC BRADWELL U11 visited Waveney C. In the early minutes a good pass from Aaron found Matthew, whose first-time cross was flicked into the net by Ben V to give FC the prefect start. FC still looked dangerous with the hard-working Connor creating chances for Sam and Ben C. Waveney came into the game more but Shaun was making it difficult for them to score until a defensive mix-up gave Waveney the equaliser right on half-time. Alex pushed forward in the second half and Max had one of his best games with some solid marking and distribution. An FC free-kick which was closed down by a well-advanced Waveney player and he set Waveney off on an attack. Max challenged fairly but fell awkwardly, and with everyone waiting for the whistle Waveney attacked and made it 2-1. Waveney scored two more goals in a short period. FC rallied and Lewis scored from close range, but it was too late. Well done to all the boys, supporters and officials and sponsors Prajco Premier Convenience Stores and Church Farm Country Inn. MoM: Max Cockrell, improving all the time.

GORLESTON RANGERS U5 & U6: Training continues on a Wednesdays 5.30 6.30pm and 6.30 7.30pm in Wroughton Junior School hall, via Burgh road entrance. The club is currently the largest youth club in Norfolk and a FA Chartered Standard Development Club. Training is directed by an FA level 2 coach. Due to recently forming a new group, Rangers are currently recruiting new members for the Wednesday evening groups. Anyone interested should be in reception or school Year 1. For more details call Chris on 01493 601256 or email chrisdunne@gorlestonrangersfc.org.uk

BLUNDESTON MAGPIES U12s’ longest trip of the season, to Long Stratton, ended with a narrow defeat after a very close-fought match with a well-organised team. The first half was very much a midfield battle with few chances being created by either team. Sam had a couple of efforts saved and Jamie was unlucky to put his shot just over the bar after a good run. The second half saw more scoring chances created by both teams. James played Sam through but his shot was saved, Sam had two more half-chances while Bexley saved several Long Stratton efforts. The Magpies’ best chance of the game came when Sam broke through the centre, beating the keeper, only to see his shot rebound off a post. He reached the ball first, this time hitting the bar. He was then unlucky to see his third effort clear the bar. Sam shot into the side netting and Matthew had two chances before the Long Stratton striker broke into the box to score the only goal of the game. Sam was again denied by the keeper saving at his feet. Bexley was the busier keeper in the final minutes. Joint MoM: Bexley and Jamie.

GORLESTON RANGERS U10C were away to Kirkley & Pakefield D for the last game of the season. Both teams started well. With K&P a strong team, Rangers had to push themselves forward but also keep solid in defence. Throughout the first half the play was up and down the pitch with both teams playing some good football. In the second half K&P came out really strongly and within five minutes they scored twice. Rangers kept themselves in the game, continuing to pass well. They made some excellent runs forward but were just unable to find the net. Final score: 2-0 to Kirkley. This was Rangers’ first season in the league and they finished fourth. A big thank you went to Simon for all his help this season, and to all the supporters. Team: Remi, Ollie, Haydn, Cody, Ryan, Riley, Sonny, team captain Tyler, and Adam. Rangers are currently looking for new players to join for next season. They train at Lynn Grove on Thursday 5.15-6.30pm on the all-weather pitch. Anyone interested should call Terry after 5pm on 07887 987764.