Yarmouth go top
Yarmouth 1, Whitton United 0GREAT Yarmouth Town went to the top of Ridgeons Division One with this narrow win at the Wellesley. The rough conditions dicated the play with the team having the weather at their backs dominating the play.
Yarmouth 1, Whitton United 0
GREAT Yarmouth Town went to the top of Ridgeons Division One with this narrow win at the Wellesley.
The rough conditions dicated the play with the team having the weather at their backs dominating the play.
The only goal was scored after just six minutes when a Stewart Roach back header was squeezed home by Scott Woodcock between 'keeper Jack Foster and his left-hand post.
You may also want to watch:
Woodocck might have had a second after 20 minutes but his inswinging corner rebounded off the inside if the far post.
In lulls in the conditions Yarmouth had further chances, the best in the second half but Gavin Norman's goal-bound acute-angled shot was deflected for a corner, and substitute Liam Bartley met Woodcock's fine centre with a flying header only for the ball to just clear the bar.
- 1 Farke linked with Bundesliga vacancy
- 2 Transfer rumour: Everton unsure about price tag for City star
- 3 'We want to stop the party' - Cherries fired up for City clash
- 4 Paddy Davitt: 'Little old Norwich' tag is a poor fit
- 5 Pompey boss praises 'perfect model' at Norwich City
- 6 Ian Clarke: Seven reasons why Norwich City will survive in top flight
- 7 City confirm fans will not return to Carrow Road this season
- 8 'Like a shield' - Canaries boss heaps praise on Webber's work
- 9 'Auld Enemy' clash on the backburner for City captain
- 10 Farke's dilemma with City prodigies
A frantic final few minutes around the Yarmouth goal brought no reward for a talented Whitton side thanks to some steely defending led by Craig Roberts.
The last time Yarmouth topped their division was Christmas Day 1996 when they were in the Ridgeons Premier under Paul Chick.