Yarmouth go top
Yarmouth 1, Whitton United 0GREAT Yarmouth Town went to the top of Ridgeons Division One with this narrow win at the Wellesley. The rough conditions dicated the play with the team having the weather at their backs dominating the play.
Yarmouth 1, Whitton United 0
GREAT Yarmouth Town went to the top of Ridgeons Division One with this narrow win at the Wellesley.
The rough conditions dicated the play with the team having the weather at their backs dominating the play.
The only goal was scored after just six minutes when a Stewart Roach back header was squeezed home by Scott Woodcock between 'keeper Jack Foster and his left-hand post.
You may also want to watch:
Woodocck might have had a second after 20 minutes but his inswinging corner rebounded off the inside if the far post.
In lulls in the conditions Yarmouth had further chances, the best in the second half but Gavin Norman's goal-bound acute-angled shot was deflected for a corner, and substitute Liam Bartley met Woodcock's fine centre with a flying header only for the ball to just clear the bar.
- 1 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 2 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 3 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 4 'I was knocked for six' - Krul reveals difficulties of his Covid-19 recovery
- 5 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
- 6 Six things you might have missed following Norwich City's FA Cup exit at Barnsley
- 7 No panic buy for Canaries after Hugill injury blow
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Swindon hoping to sign Omotoye on loan
- 9 Di Cunningham: Why City fans are in a class of their own
- 10 Chris Goreham: The importance of Hugill and home schooling
A frantic final few minutes around the Yarmouth goal brought no reward for a talented Whitton side thanks to some steely defending led by Craig Roberts.
The last time Yarmouth topped their division was Christmas Day 1996 when they were in the Ridgeons Premier under Paul Chick.