Yarmouth's champion feeling
Whitton United 2, Great Yarmouth Town 3Great Yarmouth lifted the Division One championship after a hard-fought victory at Whitton United, writes Gerry Brown.
Whitton United 2, Great Yarmouth Town 3
Great Yarmouth lifted the Ridgeons Division One championship after a hard-fought victory at Whitton United, writes Gerry Brown.
Two-goal Jake Reed was only one of many heroes for the Bloaters as a talented home side made it difficult for Yarmouth.
Reed scored an early goal, a great shot over the advancing home 'keeper from outside the box, to settle the Bloaters' nerves but Whitton then had the better of the play, equalising through Robbie Knott who had a free header at a 26th minute corner.
Yarmouth withstood some second-half home pressure to regain the lead in the 58th minute through Craig Roberts who rose to head home a Scott Woodcock corner for his 12th goal of the season.
Reed had several chances to extend the lead before he scored a late clinching third goal on 88 minutes, a superb individual effort after receving a pass from substitute Fernando Vide and beating the home 'keeper on a narrow angle.
- 1 Smith searching for a Pukki support cast
- 2 Chris Sutton: What do City fans prefer - the Premier League or the Championship?
- 3 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on AFC Wimbledon winger
- 4 McLean hammer blow for Scots' World Cup bid
- 5 Former City keeper set to leave Wolves
- 6 How much is Teemu Pukki worth to Norwich City?
- 7 Aarons called up by England under-21s
- 8 'We will bring players of the right standard' - City boss on missing link
- 9 'I wanted to stay' - Normann disappointed by City relegation
- 10 Aarons an ideal fit for Man United - Rio
But there were a few anxious moments still for the Bloaters as Whitton's Kevin Inglis made it 3-2 after a short free kick in added time before Yarmouth could claim the Division One crown, the Bloaters' first Eastern Counties League championship trophy since 1969.
For Yarmouth defender Marcus Saunders it completed an unusual hat-trick as he has now won league championships with Gorleston, Lowestoft and Yarmouth!