Yeovil Town 3, Norwich City 3

Norwich City snatched a point in a dramatic finish to their League One encounter with Yeovil when Gary Doherty scored four minutes into stoppage time at Huish Park.

Substitute Jonathan Obika had headed Yeovil into a 3-2 lead in the second minute of time added on, but the Canaries refusal to give in brought its reward when Doherty scored his second goal of the match.

Paul Lambert's men stay in third place on goal difference after that stunning finish to a game which burst into life in the final half-hour.

The first hour was fairly forgettable as Yeovil led by a 20th-minute goal from former Ipswich forward Dean Bowditch and City struggled to make headway.

But Chris Martin's 11th goal of the season levelled the scores as he tucked away skipper Grant Holt's cross on the hour and the game burst into life.

Defender Gary Doherty made it 2-1 when he headed home from Darel Russell's free-kick after 65 minutes, but Yeovil were back on terms two minutes later when Shaun MacDonald fired home from just outside the area.

City boss Paul Lambert was able to name the same starting eleven with just one change to his squad of 18 from last week's 2-0 win over Oldham.

Most Read

Full-back Jon Otsemobor was named among the substitutes with Luke Daley ruled out by the recurrence of a thigh strain.

Yeovil were also unchanged after the 2-2 draw at MK Dons.

The early stages of the match were littered with free-kicks, mostly awarded against City, and the first real shot on target was a half-hit effort by Tomlin in the ninth minute that Forster easily gathered.

The Canaries won their first corner after 12 minutes, Holt heading wide from Lappin's kick but being penalised for a foul.

Their second flag-kick four minutes later was dropped by goalkeeper McCarthy, but Chris Martin's attempted shot was blocked.

After a quiet opening, Yeovil took the lead after 20 minutes when Bowditch won a corner on the right. Mason's flag-kick was met by a firm header by Caulker, deflected past Forster by a second header by Bowditch.

Lappin was off target with a right-foot shot after Drury's cross was only half cleared but, with 10 minutes to go to the break, City had yet to seriously trouble McCarthy.

City were repeatedly caught offside as they tried to find a way back into the game, and Holt and Hoolahan were lectured by referee Pawson for protesting to one of his assistants.


HALF-TIME: Yeovil Town 1, Norwich City 0


Seven minutes after the break, Mason tried his luck from outside the area but his shot deflected off Doherty and rolled harmlessly to Forster.

Drury was shown the yellow card for a foul on Tomlin that angered the home crowd and bench and left the Yeovil man needing treatment.

City looked uncomfortable from corners and when one was only half-cleared, MacDonald let fly but his effort was over the top.

Mason then tested Forster with a low dive that had the 'keeper diving to his left.

On the hour, the Canaries drew level with their first shot on target as Holt's strength took him past Nathan Smith and his low cross into the six-yard box gave Chris Martin the simple chance to tuck the ball home for his 11th goal of the season.

The home crowd were roaring for a penalty two minutes later when Bowditch chased a header from Williams and went to ground with Doherty in pursuit, but the former Ipswich man looked to have tumbled too easily.

City went ahead on 65 minutes when Russell's free-kick was met with a powerful header by Doherty that gave McCarthy no chance.

But the celebrations were cut short when Yeovil levelled inside two minutes, MacDonald latching on to a half-chance on the edge of the area and lashing a right-foot shot past Forster.

Chris Martin sent a long-range effort over the top as the end-to-end pattern continued.

It was anyone's game now and Forster made an excellent save in a one-on-one against Bowditch to keep Norwich on terms, then blocked MacDonald's follow-up effort.

Holt glanced a header wide from Lappin's cross as City switched to the attack again.

Kalala was a long way off target with Yeovil's next attempt on goal as the game entered the final 15 minutes.

Hoolahan did well to create space for a left-foot shot after collecting Russell's pass and forced McCarthy to save diving to his left. The 'keeper then did well to smother Chris Martin's shot after a goalmouth scramble.

MacDonald volleyed over from Mason's corner as Yeovil hit back.

City made a double substitution with 10 minutes left when Hughes and MacDonald were introduced.

In a sensational finish in stoppage time, Yeovil substitute Obika gave his side the lead with a near-post header from a cross by Alcock, but in the dying seconds McCarthy denied Chris Martin by saving with his legs before the final City raid brought its reward. Doherty appeared to get the final touch from Russell Martin's ball into the box and also picked up a caution for his celebration.


RESULT: Yeovil Town 3, Norwich City 3


Yeovil Town: McCarthy; Alcock, Forbes, Caulker, Nathan Smith; Kalala; Mason, MacDonald; Tomlin; Bowditch, Williams. Subs: Richard Martin, O'Callaghan, Welsh, Stam, Murray, Hutchins Obike (for Bowditch, 81).


Norwich City: Forster; Russell Martin, Doherty, Askou, Drury; Russell; Korey Smith, Lappin; Hoolahan; Chris Martin, Holt. Subs: Steer, Otsemobor, Nelson, Adeyemi, Hughes (for Smith, 80), McNamee, McDonald (for Hoolahan, 80).


Referee: Craig Pawson (South Yorkshire)


Attendance: 4,964


Goals: Yeovil: Bowditch (20), MacDonald (67), Obika (90). City: Chris Martin (60), Doherty (65, 90)


Bookings: Yeovil: Tomlin (69), Obika (84), Mason (89), Forbes (90). City: Drury (54), Forster (79), Doherty (90)