Young midfielder to leave after 12 years with Canaries
- Credit: Archant
Young midfielder Alfie Payne has revealed he will be leaving Norwich City when his contract expires this summer, having spent the season on loan in non-league at King’s Lynn Town.
The 20-year-old is a Canaries fan, born in Norwich, who used to be a season ticket holder at Carrow Road. After progressing through the academy system Payne captained City’s under-18s to the FA Youth Cup quarter-finals in 2018.
He subsequently signed a professional deal and featured as an unused substitute during a 4-0 win at Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship during an injury crisis but didn’t make a senior appearance.
“After 12 years with the club this chapter of my life has come to an end,” Payne wrote on Instagram. “Thanks to everyone that helped me on my journey and helped me to become the person I am today. Now I’m looking forward to the future and what the next chapter of my life will bring.”
Payne scored three goals in 25 games as Lynn chased promotion from National League North although 11 of those appearances were from the bench - with the Linnets still waiting to hear how the final table will be settled after their season was concluded early due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Among the many former team-mates wishing Payne well was former Youth Cup colleagues Max Aarons and Adam Idah, with right-back Aarons writing: “Legend! Exciting times ahead for you bro and can’t wait to see.”
Canaries striker Idah said: “Best of luck brother! All the best.”
You may also want to watch:
While former City winger Matt Jarvis wrote: “All the best mate! You will be flying high soon enough.”
Payne follows fellow City U23 midfielder Tom Scully in confirming on social media recently that he will be leaving the club.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 2 Norwich City transfer rumours: Buendia 'talks' over summer Arsenal move
- 3 Farke's words of advice for Soto
- 4 PRESSER LIVE: Barnsley v Norwich City - McLean tests positive for Covid-19
- 5 Rupp set for FA Cup recall
- 6 February fixture changes for Canaries
- 7 Robin Sainty: Farke has taken City to a whole new level
- 8 Ton up Tim is wonderful for Farke
- 9 MATCHDAY LIVE: Canaries take on Barnsley in FA Cup
- 10 'I didn't know if I'd make it' - City academy product ends over 1,000 days of injury woe