‘I’m pretty sure he will make it’ – Zlatan’s backing for Norwich City star
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Teemu Pukki can cut it in the Premier League for Norwich City – so says a certain Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Pukki's stunning campaign for club and country has already gone down in legend - all as a free agent following his departure from Danish giants Brondby 12 months ago.
And after notching another two goals for Finland at the weekend, Pukki has been backed to continue shining on his Premier League arrival and the Canaries' return - by a global football icon.
Talismanic Sweden striker Ibrahimovic, now playing for LA Galaxy in the MLS at the age of 37, can count Juventus, Inter and AC Milan, Barcelona, Ajax and Manchester United among his clubs - as well as domestic and European titles from across the continent.
And for Zlatan, Norwich City's Teemu Pukki can make the step up in England next season.
You may also want to watch:
"I think everybody is impressed with him," said Ibrahimovic, speaking to the Finnish Mestarit Podcast.
"If you score a lot of goals and bring a team to the Premier League - the biggest thing that can happen - and then coming first in the Championship, which I think is a very difficult division because it's very aggressive, very hard with a lot of games, it means he had a great season.
- 1 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 2 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 3 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 4 'My journey has been life-changing' - Cantwell reflects on three years since his City debut
- 5 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 6 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 7 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 8 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 9 Hugill stepped up when Norwich City needed him with determined display at Cardiff
- 10 Watch extended highlights of Norwich City's win at Cardiff
"And there are so many teams behind there fighting. Leeds went out and almost made it. Aston Villa and Derby were in the play-off final, so it's not easy.
"Next season will be even more difficult for Teemu because now you are playing against the elite and from my own experience, it's not easy to score goals in the Premier League.
"But I'm pretty sure he will make it and he will be more motivated and have a bigger ambition now he is in the Premier League - so hopefully he can repeat what he did in the Championship."
Pukki was named the Canaries' player and players' player of the season, EFL and PFA Championship player of season and walked away with the division's golden boot for his 29-goal haul as he helped fire City to the Championship title.
He also recorded the most prolific season in England for a Finnish footballer - and will hope to make a similar impact in the Premier League; the 2019-20 fixtures are announced on Thursday at 9am.
- For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…