‘I’m pretty sure he will make it’ – Zlatan’s backing for Norwich City star
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Teemu Pukki can cut it in the Premier League for Norwich City – so says a certain Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Pukki's stunning campaign for club and country has already gone down in legend - all as a free agent following his departure from Danish giants Brondby 12 months ago.
And after notching another two goals for Finland at the weekend, Pukki has been backed to continue shining on his Premier League arrival and the Canaries' return - by a global football icon.
Talismanic Sweden striker Ibrahimovic, now playing for LA Galaxy in the MLS at the age of 37, can count Juventus, Inter and AC Milan, Barcelona, Ajax and Manchester United among his clubs - as well as domestic and European titles from across the continent.
And for Zlatan, Norwich City's Teemu Pukki can make the step up in England next season.
You may also want to watch:
"I think everybody is impressed with him," said Ibrahimovic, speaking to the Finnish Mestarit Podcast.
"If you score a lot of goals and bring a team to the Premier League - the biggest thing that can happen - and then coming first in the Championship, which I think is a very difficult division because it's very aggressive, very hard with a lot of games, it means he had a great season.
- 1 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
- 2 Norwich City fans get kit help as Pukkimania sparks dash for Euros shirt
- 3 ‘Definitely was not easy’ - City striker on distressing win
- 4 'Amazing' ambition was key to Buendia's decision to choose Villa
- 5 Norwich City transfer rumours: Leeds also interested in Gunn
- 6 WINDOW WATCH: The latest City transfer news and views
- 7 Denmark star 'stabilised' after collapsing during Euros game
- 8 Left-back seals permanent Canaries exit
- 9 'Pukki will be treated like Messi or Ronaldo''
- 10 A-Z: It's not going to get any easier for Brighton
"And there are so many teams behind there fighting. Leeds went out and almost made it. Aston Villa and Derby were in the play-off final, so it's not easy.
"Next season will be even more difficult for Teemu because now you are playing against the elite and from my own experience, it's not easy to score goals in the Premier League.
"But I'm pretty sure he will make it and he will be more motivated and have a bigger ambition now he is in the Premier League - so hopefully he can repeat what he did in the Championship."
Pukki was named the Canaries' player and players' player of the season, EFL and PFA Championship player of season and walked away with the division's golden boot for his 29-goal haul as he helped fire City to the Championship title.
He also recorded the most prolific season in England for a Finnish footballer - and will hope to make a similar impact in the Premier League; the 2019-20 fixtures are announced on Thursday at 9am.
- For the latest Norwich City news and opinion follow Michael Bailey on the following channels…