Norwich City agree fee for Newcastle United defender Grant Hanley
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Norwich City have agreed a fee with Newcastle United for defender Grant Hanley.
The 25-year-old is currently undergoing a medical with the Canaries having been told he is not part of Rafa Benitez’s first team plans at St James’ Park.
Fulham are also interested in the Scotland international but it is understood Norwich are in pole position to sign him.
Hanley has four years remaining on his contract at Newcastle and his wages of a reported £40,000 per week could yet prove a stumbling block.
City are in the market for defensive reinforcements after a woeful start to the new Championship campaign under Daniel Farke.
You may also want to watch:
Hanley has made just one senior appearance this season for the Magpies in a 3-2 League Cup defeat to Nottingham Forest and played a minor role in Newcastle’s Championship title success last season.
The Scottish international moved to St James’ Park in July 2016 on a five year contract from Blackburn for an undisclosed fee, reportedly in the region of £5.5m. Hanley is currently on international duty alongside Russell Martin and Steven Naismith preparing for upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Lithuania and Malta.
- 1 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
- 2 City striker seals Swindon loan move; Hugill injury boost
- 3 Lambert and Ipswich in crisis: Do you care, City fans?
- 4 City midfielder returns to Norfolk after loan spell terminated
- 5 Cantwell explains why he wears different coloured boots and why City is in his DNA
- 6 Placheta must kick on at City
- 7 Norwich City transfer rumours: Bushiri close to Eupen loan
- 8 Giannoulis deal proof City can navigate difficult transfer market
- 9 Chris Goreham: The importance of Hugill and home schooling
- 10 City Q&A: Striker light - Your questions answered
Farke would welcome fresh faces ahead of Thursday’s deadline and the Canaries have been strongly linked to Bristol City’s Aden Flint in recent days after previously tracking Premier League duo Jake Salter-Clarke and Krystian Bielik.
City have signed central defensive pair Marcel Franke and Christoph Zimmermann since Farke’s arrival, along with Sean Raggett who has returned to Lincoln City on loan until the New Year.