Norwich City agree fee for Newcastle United defender Grant Hanley
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Norwich City have agreed a fee with Newcastle United for defender Grant Hanley.
The 25-year-old is currently undergoing a medical with the Canaries having been told he is not part of Rafa Benitez’s first team plans at St James’ Park.
Fulham are also interested in the Scotland international but it is understood Norwich are in pole position to sign him.
Hanley has four years remaining on his contract at Newcastle and his wages of a reported £40,000 per week could yet prove a stumbling block.
City are in the market for defensive reinforcements after a woeful start to the new Championship campaign under Daniel Farke.
You may also want to watch:
Hanley has made just one senior appearance this season for the Magpies in a 3-2 League Cup defeat to Nottingham Forest and played a minor role in Newcastle’s Championship title success last season.
The Scottish international moved to St James’ Park in July 2016 on a five year contract from Blackburn for an undisclosed fee, reportedly in the region of £5.5m. Hanley is currently on international duty alongside Russell Martin and Steven Naismith preparing for upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Lithuania and Malta.
- 1 PRESSER: City v Liverpool - No fresh injuries; Cantwell set to miss out
- 2 Farke on City set up changes
- 3 Getting nasty and dressing room barnies - City old boy's relegation advice
- 4 Farke opens up on the impact of booing City players
- 5 Six things you may have missed from City's disheartening defeat to Watford
- 6 'I hate losing' - Normann's City debut left a nasty taste
- 7 What does Farke do now to kickstart City?
- 8 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 3-1 Watford defeat
- 9 Paddy Davitt verdict: It is not City fans who need to believe
- 10 Sargent hopeful Pukki partnership can bear fruit for Canaries
Farke would welcome fresh faces ahead of Thursday’s deadline and the Canaries have been strongly linked to Bristol City’s Aden Flint in recent days after previously tracking Premier League duo Jake Salter-Clarke and Krystian Bielik.
City have signed central defensive pair Marcel Franke and Christoph Zimmermann since Farke’s arrival, along with Sean Raggett who has returned to Lincoln City on loan until the New Year.