The Canaries debate: Should Norwich City cash in on Ben Godfrey?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have reportedly slapped a £50m price tag on Ben Godfrey amidst interest from Arsenal and Tottenham.
The Athletic's David Ornstein claims the City defender's performances have seen a number of top European clubs check on his progress with Borussia Dortmund and Lyon also admirers.
City are loathe to lose the England Under-21 defender and have put a high valuation on the former York City man.
Harry Maguire's £85m move to Manchester United in the summer has shaped a bloated market whilst Adam Webster's £20m move from Bristol City to Brighton has also been factored into the Canaries' hierarchy's thinking.
Godfrey was a mainstay of Daniel Farke's back four during the club's Championship promotion and has coped with a baptism of fire in the Premier League.
MORE: Championship hot-shot in City's sightsAn injury crisis at the heart of City's backline has meant Godfrey has been the senior man with Alex Tettey and Ibrahim Amadou stepping back from their normal midfield roles to partner the 21-year-old with Christoph Zimmermann, Grant Hanley and Timm Klose all sidelined for long spells.
You may also want to watch:
Whether clubs think Godfrey is worth £50m at this stage of his career is open to question and the valuation may have been placed to put off potential suitors in January.
However, both Arsenal and Tottenham could do with defensive reinforcements and a bid close to that valuation could be tempting for sporting director Stuart Webber.
- 1 MATCHDAY RECAP: Canaries beaten by Barnsley in FA Cup
- 2 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 1-0 FA Cup defeat against Barnsley
- 3 Farke's injury fears for Hugill after Barnsley FA Cup loss
- 4 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries interested in Luton midfielder
- 5 STARTING XIs: Hernandez starts as City make five changes for FA Cup tie
- 6 Rupp set for FA Cup recall
- 7 Energetic Barnsley dump disjointed Norwich side out of the FA Cup
- 8 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 1-0 Barnsley defeat
- 9 Ton up Tim is wonderful for Farke
- 10 Robin Sainty: Farke has taken City to a whole new level
Should City do a deal?