The Canaries debate: Should Norwich City cash in on Ben Godfrey?
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City have reportedly slapped a £50m price tag on Ben Godfrey amidst interest from Arsenal and Tottenham.
The Athletic's David Ornstein claims the City defender's performances have seen a number of top European clubs check on his progress with Borussia Dortmund and Lyon also admirers.
City are loathe to lose the England Under-21 defender and have put a high valuation on the former York City man.
Harry Maguire's £85m move to Manchester United in the summer has shaped a bloated market whilst Adam Webster's £20m move from Bristol City to Brighton has also been factored into the Canaries' hierarchy's thinking.
Godfrey was a mainstay of Daniel Farke's back four during the club's Championship promotion and has coped with a baptism of fire in the Premier League.
MORE: Championship hot-shot in City's sightsAn injury crisis at the heart of City's backline has meant Godfrey has been the senior man with Alex Tettey and Ibrahim Amadou stepping back from their normal midfield roles to partner the 21-year-old with Christoph Zimmermann, Grant Hanley and Timm Klose all sidelined for long spells.
You may also want to watch:
Whether clubs think Godfrey is worth £50m at this stage of his career is open to question and the valuation may have been placed to put off potential suitors in January.
However, both Arsenal and Tottenham could do with defensive reinforcements and a bid close to that valuation could be tempting for sporting director Stuart Webber.
- 1 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Bristol City - Pukki still out, Krul set to return
- 2 City confirm Dimitris Giannoulis deal
- 3 Buendia to Arsenal. Forget it, says City boss Farke
- 4 PROFILE: Raw determination and loan education helped City's incoming left-back emerge at PAOK
- 5 City legend details Webber conversation before sporting director appointment
- 6 Bullish Robins' boss pledges to mix it with Canaries
- 7 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper
- 8 The Greek view on Norwich City new boy Dimitris Giannoulis
- 9 Cherries lose more ground on Canaries in promotion race
- 10 'Our own Heracles at left-back' - City fans delighted as Giannoulis completes loan move
Should City do a deal?