Cantwell omission may have cost Premier League move, claims midfielder
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City head coach Daniel Farke’s questioning of Todd Cantwell’s attitude may have put off Premier League suitors coming in for the midfielder.
That’s according to former Derby County midfielder Tom Huddlestone, who believes the fact Farke left the 22-year-old out of City’s Championship clashes with Bournemouth and Derby may have raised alarm bells with top-flight clubs.
Huddlestone, who is currently a free agent having left Pride Park this summer, ‘wouldn’t be surprised’ to see Cantwell leave Carrow Road and understands why the player, who is under contract until July 2022, may see his future away from Norfolk having seen the likes of Jamal Lewis and Ben Godfrey depart.
Leeds United have been heavily linked with Cantwell but it is understood Marcelo Bielsa’s side are going to assess their options again in January having spent so heavily in the summer window bringing in the likes of Rodrigo, Raphinha and Diego Llorente.
“There are only a few days left,” Huddlestone told Sky Sports. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he was to go. But his manager coming out and publicly questioning his attitude in training and subsequently leaving him out of the squad the following game would raise a lot of eyebrows for Premier League suitors.
You may also want to watch:
“It could be one of them, from his point of view, he sees a few of his teammates that have left already. And I am not sure that he has had much interest, but he probably feels that after doing so well in a struggling team last year that he deserves to be let go to a Premier League club again.
“But at his age, he has to knuckle down and if now move was to materialise then he has to put himself in the best situation possible to get Norwich back in the Premier League at the first opportunity.”
- 1 City transfer rumours: West Ham show interest in £30m rated Aarons
- 2 No West Ham contact for Aarons; Drmic wage hike unlikely
- 3 Webber will continue to be 'brutally honest' at City
- 4 Transfer rumour: Canaries interested in Celtic defender
- 5 Former City boss to leave post at the end of the season
- 6 City hot-shot out to prove point in Premier League, claims ex-Canary
- 7 David Freezer: Emotions bubbling for City as Watford tee up a proper title race
- 8 Spurs loanee Skipp discusses his future and potential of Canaries return
- 9 Webber reveals he turned down 'massive job' to stay at City
- 10 City ace Krul reflects on Premier League interest