Cantwell omission may have cost Premier League move, claims midfielder
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City head coach Daniel Farke’s questioning of Todd Cantwell’s attitude may have put off Premier League suitors coming in for the midfielder.
That’s according to former Derby County midfielder Tom Huddlestone, who believes the fact Farke left the 22-year-old out of City’s Championship clashes with Bournemouth and Derby may have raised alarm bells with top-flight clubs.
Huddlestone, who is currently a free agent having left Pride Park this summer, ‘wouldn’t be surprised’ to see Cantwell leave Carrow Road and understands why the player, who is under contract until July 2022, may see his future away from Norfolk having seen the likes of Jamal Lewis and Ben Godfrey depart.
Leeds United have been heavily linked with Cantwell but it is understood Marcelo Bielsa’s side are going to assess their options again in January having spent so heavily in the summer window bringing in the likes of Rodrigo, Raphinha and Diego Llorente.
“There are only a few days left,” Huddlestone told Sky Sports. “I wouldn’t be surprised if he was to go. But his manager coming out and publicly questioning his attitude in training and subsequently leaving him out of the squad the following game would raise a lot of eyebrows for Premier League suitors.
You may also want to watch:
“It could be one of them, from his point of view, he sees a few of his teammates that have left already. And I am not sure that he has had much interest, but he probably feels that after doing so well in a struggling team last year that he deserves to be let go to a Premier League club again.
“But at his age, he has to knuckle down and if now move was to materialise then he has to put himself in the best situation possible to get Norwich back in the Premier League at the first opportunity.”
- 1 'He has all the attributes" - Former coach backs Giannoulis to succeed at City
- 2 City keeper issues injury update
- 3 City Q&A recap: What does Giannoulis signing mean for Quintilla?
- 4 Matt Howman: Do you want Norwich City to be in the Premier League
- 5 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 6 Six things you might have missed after Norwich City's victory in Cardiff
- 7 Young City winger completes permanent Harrogate Town move
- 8 Canaries captain hails 'outstanding' display from Hugill
- 9 'Best team in the league' - Harris raves about Canaries
- 10 Spurs loanee Skipp is a centre-back's dream, according to City skipper