Why Jonny Howson is my Norwich City player of the season
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
The cries of “we are staying up” echoed around me as I limped away from Carrow Road on Saturday. The delight of a dramatic second half made the pain of having a jubilant supporter land on my foot when celebrating Martin Olsson’s last-gasp winner almost disappear.
It was evident when the final whistle blew that this victory meant as much to the players as it did to the thousands of supporters who were witnesses to the most exciting game of the season (leaving Liverpool aside as although exciting and dramatic, we did lose that one).
Saturday induced those emotions that were last felt in the play-off semi-final against Ipswich and, of course, the final at Wembley.
The team that Alex Neil fielded on Saturday is one, if I was manager, would have started with. At last I think he has found that winning formula. Important partnerships are now developing on the field – Klose and Bennett, Howson and O’Neil, Mbokani and Naismith, Olsson and Brady.
The dilemma now is how to fit Hoolahan and Redmond into the mix.
You may also want to watch:
The time has come for every Norwich City supporter to vote for their player of the season. There are many deserving player’s names being thrown into the hat: Timm Klose following his man of the match winning performances over the last few weeks; Gary O’Neil’s gritty determination and the excellent way he has taken over the captain’s armband; Robbie Brady with his great attacking ability; and then there is Jonny Howson.
A stalwart of the Norwich team, Howson gives 100pc week in week out, controlling the midfield, initiating attacking moves, defending... I could go on, but I am sure I am preaching to the converted.
- 1 Farke reveals Buendia concerns and fitness updates on Pukki and Krul after 2-1 Cardiff win
- 2 City's Giannoulis move enters the end game
- 3 Paddy Davitt: Player ratings after Canaries' 2-1 Cardiff win
- 4 Paddy's Pointers: Five observations from the Canaries' 2-1 Championship win against Cardiff City
- 5 'As good as I've seen him!' - City fans laud Cantwell performance
- 6 Paddy Davitt verdict: Relentless City operating on a different level
- 7 No Pukki no problem for Canaries as they move seven points clear at the top
- 8 City edging closer to deal for Giannoulis
- 9 'We need to pull our weight' - City skipper relieved to end his goal drought
- 10 STARTING XIs: Pukki missing for City as Barden starts at Cardiff
Every week, he is the steady, reliable player who is part of the backbone of the team. This is why Jonny Howson has got my player of the season vote.
With six games left and four points above the relegation places, it’s now all in our hands. As long as we keep winning, we no longer have to rely on the results of those teams around us, although it would be helpful if they could lose one or two here and there.
• Blog post written by Lorraine Taylor